Chapter 7 - Dinner and a Show

The Company followed the narrow path between two tall cliffs, after some time the path opened out to a small cliff that over looked the valley and a beautiful Elvish city.

"The Valley of Imraldis. In the Common Tongue, it's known by a another name." Gandalf announced.

"Rivendell." Bilbo breathed, the smallest of smiles on his face.

Laire grinned at the prospect of seeing some old friends and her brother if she was truly lucky. 

"Here lies the last Homely House east of the sea." Gandalf soliloquized 

"This was your plan all along, to seek refuge with our enemy." Thorin all but growled.

"You have no enemies here, Thorin Oakenshield. The only ill-will to be found in this valley is that which you bring yourself."

"You think the Elves will give our quest their blessing? They will try to stop us." Thorin argued.

"Of course they will. But we have questions that need to be answered. If we are to be successful, this will need to be handled with tact and respect and no small degree of charm. Which is why you will leave the talking to me." The Wizard began leading the way down the cliff towards the city. 

As they Company walked across the bridge they looked around at the intricate and beautiful Elvish structures that composed the city. A tall Elf with dark brown hair walked down the stair to meet them. 

"Mithrandir. Laire."

"Ah, Lindir!" Gandalf acknowledged joyfully. Laire nodded respectfully as the Dwarves huddled behind her. 

"Lastannem i athrannedh i Vruinen." (We heard you had crossed into the Valley.)

"I must speak with Lord Elrond." Gandalf explained to the Elf.

"My lord Elrond is not here." Lindir replied with a soft frown.

"Not here? Where is he?" 

As Gandalf finished his question, the Elvish horns called from the bridge signalling their return.

The Company spun around and formed together and drew their weapons.

"Ifridî bekâr!"(Ready weapons!') "Hold ranks!" Thorin barked.

The riders circled around the Dwarves, eventually coming to a stop as one Elf separated from the other riders.

"Gandalf. Laire."

Gandalf and Laire bowed with grace and respect.

"Lord Elrond. Mellonnen! Mo evínedh?" (My friend! Where have you been?)

"Farannem 'lamhoth i udul o charad. Dagannem rim na Iant Vedui." (We've been hunting a pack of Orcs that came up from the South. We slew a number near the Hidden Pass.)

Elrond swung down elegantly from his horse and embraced Gandalf in a welcoming hug before doing the same to Laire who had to stretch to reach his height.

"Strange for Orcs to come so close to our borders. Something, or someone, has drawn them near." Elrond remarked, holding up an Orc sword before handing it to Lindir.

"Ah, that may have been us." Gandalf said guiltily.

"Welcome Thorin, son of Thrain." Elrond greeted respectfully when Thorin stepped forward.

"I do not believe we have met."

"You have your grandfather's bearing. I knew Thror when he ruled under the Mountain."

"Indeed; he made no mention of you." Thorin all but sneered, ignoring the harsh glare that came from the Ranger. 

Elrond let the insult slide and turned to the Company.  "Nartho i noer, toltho i viruvor. Boe i annam vann a nethail vin." (Light the fires, bring forth the wine. We must feed our guests.)