Chapter 20 - The Greater Good

The sun had barely disappeared below the horizon when the Dwarf forced their way out of the house. Bain tried his hardest to stand firm against them, but one boy against 13 determined Dwarves was no fair fight. Laire patted his shoulder sympathetically and followed after them. Like mice they crept through the wooden streets, until Laire lead them around the back of a building significantly larger than the others. There was a window on the second story was large enough for them to climb through. Nori was first to climb up the Dwarf pyramid the others had constructed, Laire, Fili, Thorin, Kili, and a few others followed after him. 

As quiet as possible, in desperate attempts to not alert the nearby guards, the Company gathered as many weapons as possible. Kili shuffled along, a heavy pile in his arms that he silently struggled with. Thorin turned and place another sword in his arms and glanced at him with concern. "You alright?"

Kili nodded surely, "I can manage. Let's just get out of here." The young Dwarf refused to show weakness and did his best to distract his Uncle's concern.

Thorin hesitated for a moment, though he was not entirely convinced, there were more pressing matters. He placed another sword in his Nephew's arms and let him keep his pride. Kili continued his shuffle past the other Dwarves, but the weight in his arms and strain on his leg were too much. He stumbled and fell down the stairs with a strangled cry, the awfully loud clatter echoed through the armoury. The guard startled with a shout and thundered into the room. A few gathered up arms but were halted when Braga held a dagger to Kili's throat. The young Prince cowered in shame as he looked up at his Uncle with guilt.

The Company were herded through the town, the folk of Laketown began to follow after them, their curiousity of these unknown intruders peaking their interest. The town gathered before the Master's house and the Company were held before the steps by the Guards. The Master of Laketown, who was the most grotesque man if ever there was, bundled out in a huff. "What is the meaning of this?" He demanded, his voice croaked and scratched in his outrage.

"We caught 'em stealing weapons, sire." informed Braga, an egotistical edge to his voice.

The Master sneered, "Ah. Enemies of the state, then."

"This is a bunch of mercenaries if ever there was, sire." added Alfrid, he stood a few steps down from the Master, but high enough to still show his position over the others.

Dwalin lurched forward in a defensive fire of rage, "Hold your tongue. You do not know to whom you speak. This is no common criminal; this is Thorin, son of Thrain, son of Thror!" Dwalin presented Thorin as he emerged from the cluster of Dwarves. A series of hushed murmurs rumbled through the crowd as they looked on in awe.

"We are the dwarves of Erebor." Thorin announced. Recognition overcame the people of Laketown as they craned their necks to catch a glimpse of the now famous Dwarves. "We have come to reclaim our homeland." Thorin paused and looked at the crowd, "I remember this town and the great days of old. Fleets of boats lay at harbor, filled with silks and fine gems. This was no forsaken town on a lake! This was the center of all trade in the North." The earnest of his voice and words began to sway the people in his favour. "I would see those days return. I would relight the great forges of the dwarves and send wealth and riches flowing once more from the halls of Erebor!"

Cheers of agreement erupted from the crowd as the Master looked on with a calculating gaze. Amidst the joy, a harsh shout was herd, one that silenced the people as Bard pushed through to the front.

"Death!" He stopped a few feet before Thorin with a steeled expression, "That is what you will bring upon us. Dragon-fire and ruin. If you awaken that beast, it will destroy us all."

The Bargeman's words stirred anxiety amongst the people, but Thorin was quick to pull them back to his side. "You can listen to this naysayer, but I promise you this; If we succeed, all will share in the wealth of the mountain. You will have enough gold to rebuild Esgaroth ten times over!"