Chapter 18 - Laketown and Stowaways

A thick fog covered the Lake that brisk Autumn morning as the barge was maneuvered through the rocks and icebergs. 

"Watch out!" cried Bofur as a cluster of large rock formations emerged through the thick cloud.

Bard directed the barge around the obstacle with ease, he could sail these waters blind and make it home without so much as a scratch.

"What are you trying to do, drown us?" Accused Thorin.

"I was born and bred on these waters, Master Dwarf. If I wanted to drown you, I would not do it here."

"Oh I have enough of this lippy lakeman. I say we throw him over the side and be done with him." grumbled Dwalin.

"Ohh, Bard, his name's Bard." Bilbo sneered in reply.

"How do you know?" asked Bofur.

"Uh, I asked him." Bilbo's voice dripped with bluntness and sarcasm. 

The Dwarves began to whisper amongst themselves, occasionally glancing back at the Bargeman. Laire leaned against the side of the barge, close to Bard's side but with enough distance between them to not obstruct his movements.

"How are the bairns? I've not seen them in years. Sigrid would near be a grown lass by now?"

Bard nodded slowly, "Aye, she is almost grown up, I worry how long before some strapping young lad comes and sweeps her off her feet. Bain is almost a man now, and little Tilda, I don't know what I'll do with myself when she grows up." 

Laire watched fondly as Bard spoke of his children, they were his pride and joy. Who knows how he would have survived without them after his beloved wife passed. The Ranger was extremely fond of Bard and his children, and she adored his late wife. Laire first came to Laketown 10 years ago when Legolas helped her escape before Thranduil could have her head. She come across the bargeman in rather the same way the Dwarves had only minutes ago. She offered him what money she had for shelter and a meal, and Bard and his generous heart agreed. He took her back to his family which at the time had been an 8 year old Sigrid, a 6 year old Bain, and a kind hearted woman named Laura (not her real name I just picked this one). The family took Laire in without a second thought and she stayed for almost a year. She had left to go and find her brother and returned to Rivendell, about six months later she'd received a letter informing her that Laura was with child again. Ecstatic with the news, Laire immediately returned to Laketown and spent the last few months of Laura's pregnancy caring to her every need and helping her with the children so Bard could work with a little less worry. 

Little Tilda had entered the world on a late summer's night, so small and perfect Bard and Laura insisted on naming her Laire, but the Ranger kindly refused saying the name of a bastard was no name to give a child as sweet as this. Instead, Laire was entrusted with the duty of choosing a name for the little bundle. After much deliberation and staring at the little darling, Tilda was the only name that seemed to fit. It echoed the sweet innocence in her eyes perfectly. But the joy of the new addition to the family was short lived, Laura died a month later, from child bed fever or another illness they were never quite sure. It almost destroyed Bard, never had he been more thankful for Laire's presence, without her he was sure he would not have survived. As the year passed by, Laire visited as many times as she could. Some times she'd stay for a week, others would be just the night as she was passing through. Her duties as a Ranger made having friends outside of the other Rangers, her brother, and the Elves of Rivendell hard. But this family had become incredibly dear to her so much that she would add a few extra days or weeks to her travels just to see them. 

"Dinna worry one bit, Bard. Yer bairns will not forget ye when yer old and grey, they love ye too much." Laire smiled kindly at Bard as he return a thankful glance.