Chapter 12 - Thank Gods for Eagles

With a safe distance now between the Company and the Mountains, Gandalf stopped to count and assure the presence of each member. 

"Five, six, seven, eight...Bifur, Bofur...that's ten...Fili, Kili, Laire, ...that's thirteen...and Bombur - that makes fourteen. Where's Bilbo? Where is our Hobbit? Where is our hobbit?!" Gandalf demanded searching through the Company.

"Curse the halfling! Now he's lost?!" Dwalin growled.

"I thought he was with Dori!"

"Don't blame me!" Dori defended.

Gandalf turned to the Dwarf in question, "Well, where did you last see him?"

"I think I saw him slip away, when they first collared us." Nori piped up

"What happened exactly? Tell me!" The Grey Wizard barked.

Unbeknownst to the Company, Bilbo had caught up to them but was invisible thanks to his new found Ring. The Hobbit hid behind a tree silently as Thorin interrupted Gandalf. 

"I'll tell you what happened. Master Baggins saw his chance and he took it! He's thought of nothing but his soft bed and his warm hearth since first he stepped out of his door! We will not be seeing our Hobbit again. He is long gone."

Laire threw a burning glare at Thorin, opening her mouth to tear the arrogant Dwarf a new one. But then something happened no one was expecting.

"No, he isn't." Bilbo announced, the Hobbit has seemingly appeared out of nowhere.

"Bilbo Baggins! I've never been so glad to see anyone in my life!" Gandalf laughed joyfully.

"Bilbo, we'd given you up!" Kili beamed, relieved like the rest of the Company to see him.

"How on earth did you get past the Goblins?!" Fili wondered.

"How, indeed." Dwalin agreed, eyeing the Hobbit skeptically.

Bilbo stood awkwardly silent, lost for words to explain his great escape. He attempted to play it off with a nervous laugh, casually placing his hands on his hips. Laire frowned as she noticed the glint of something golden slip into the pocket of his waistcoat. It seemed only the Wizard and Ranger's keen eyes saw it, but neither made mention of it.

"Well, what does it matter? He's back!" Gandalf said uneasily in attempts to draw attention away from the Hobbit.

Thorin spoke up once more, the slightest aftermath of guilt present on his proud features, "It matters! I want to know: why did you come back?"

Bilbo sighed heavily and thought back to what Laire had said to him in the cave. "Look, I know you doubt me, I know you always have. And you're right, I often think of Bag End. I miss my books. And my armchair. And my garden. See, that's where I belong. That's home. And that's why I came back, cause you don't have one. A home. It was taken from you. But I will help you take it back if I can."

There is silence amongst the Company as Bilbo finishes as they contemplate his words, a feeling of respect swelling for the Hobbit. Bilbo looked around and caught the eye of the red-head Ranger who sent him an encouraging smile and nod. 

However their moment of content was short lived as bone chilling howls broke through the silence. The Company looked up the hill in horror as the imminent danger sunk in.

"Out of the frying pan..." Thorin whispered.

"...and into the fire! Run! GO!" Laire finished, urging the Company further down the hill and in hopes to safety.

The Company panicked to find themselves trapped at the edge of a high cliff with no escape. Their only safety was a number of tall pine trees scattered across the out cropping.