3. / MEDICAL PROCEDURES

ELIANA HAYES

The following morning coming in for her new shift, Eliana felt like a renewed person. She had been given the right time to rest after the long night surgery. Usually she would work mostly night shifts, but it often changed and sometimes she would be called to help in a daytime shift, such as this one.

"Looking like a new person." Sienna greeted soon as she passed the front desk, dressed in her working attire.

"You have no idea." Eliana smiled, receiving her medical file from Carrie's hands. "Is it the usual today?"

"Practically."

Eliana nodded as she was used to the same routine.

As a nurse you could have specific people assigned to your shift. One emergency or another would appear every now and then, but none that Eliana was assigned to.

She was currently taking care of the elder Randolph, whom she spent most of her days with. He was her most important case, other than that she often checked smaller problematic patients and rarely helped around the nursery area, when needed.

Randolph had entered the hospital about five months ago around the time he was discovered with stage two lung cancer. It had been a long way of chemotherapy and although better, it was a patient that had to be watched constantly. Due to the amount of time he took off Eliana's schedule, she didn't expect any other patient in her cares anytime soon.

The elder man counted on Eliana as the young granddaughter he had never had, due to his family's lack of interest. Therefore, she took it upon herself to make time for him, even if that implied staying some extra hours after her shift was done.

"Actually" Sienna added "our lovely Dr. Roberts added some note on your file today and don't ask because I've had a busy morning so I couldn't yet check."

Eliana nodded before looking down at the folder in her hand.

In the bottom of the paper sheet, written in its own form of medical calligraphy was an unfamiliar but all too familiar name. The athlete from the previous evening.

"Bradley Beal." Eliana spoke in the form of a sigh.

"Not my call. Apparently, Regina had to cut her shift short due to family issues and therefore you were upgraded to Mr. Beal's medicine provider." Sienna joked.

With a simple nod, the young woman proceeded to start her day.

First thing was Randolph, her priority. After not hearing from him in almost 24 hours, she was eager to see how the older man had spent the night. It didn't take long for her to find him because as she crossed the corner, reading from the folder in her hands for further information, a voice called her.

"Eliana." A colleague of hers cheered, guiding none other than Randolph in the wheeling chair he loved to hate. "Mr. Wilson here was eager to see his favourite nurse, so here we are."

Elianna rested her hand in her chest jokingly, as Randolph rolled his eyes.

"I missed you too." Eliana smiled before turning her attention to her colleague. "It's okay Vera, I'll take it from here."

After the older nurse was out of sight, Randolph breathed in relief.

He was known amongst the medical staff as a stubborn old man. Eliana however, saw him differently. She understood his dark humour and occasional bad mood. Who could possibly smile through painful chemo and hospital food?

"I knew you missed me, but not that much."

"Don't let it get to your head." He chuckled, looking up at her.