7. / SERENDIPITY

ELIANA HAYES

Although winter used to be quite a busy season, Eliana could sense the lighter atmosphere all through these hospital halls. One of the largest in DC, and with hundreds of new patients arriving each day, the staff was working in sync to assure this place had a better aura to it and therefore, and somehow everyone seemed happier.

"Can you believe it Christmas is just around the corner?"

The whole room mumbled after Sienna's remark. Eliana, who sat next to the young nurse in the break room, simply laughed it off before sipping on her cappuccino mug.

"There's always that person who celebrates it there's more than a month left."

"Excuse me Peter, but it's a magnificent season which we should be happy to receive again. I'm just wondering when we're going to start putting up decorations."

"Never." Peter, one of the doctors in the hospital, contested. "It's November, we still have Thanksgiving."

"He is right about that." Eliana pointed out, laughing at the whole argument.

"El, you're supposed to defend me. Who's your best friend after all?"

The rest of the staff drifted off to a larger argument, and Sienna soon started her own private topic with Eliana.

"Am I the only one excited?" Eliana shrugged at Sienna's enthusiasm. "You're going to tell me there's nothing you're wishing for this Christmas?"

The sudden quietness of the room took over, as the TV News portrayed the most recent topic: the full recovery of Washington Wizards' shooting guard. Eliana watched attentively, forgetting to answer to Sienna's question.

"He's done?" She asked herself.

Sienna watched her sudden drift of attention towards the new and smirked.

"Oh, I see."

Eliana soon looked down at her.

"See what?"

"You wish for that." She pointed at the tv.

Eliana frowned and laughed it off. "His recovery? Of cours-"

"Him. A handsome 6'5 man who can make your cold nights a whole lot better."

"You're being ridiculous." Eliana pointed her finger at her friend. "I'm going, break time is over."

The young nurse quickly excused herself, walking towards the exit while hearing some of her friend's teasing.

She went back to work in the blink of an eye, after picking up her folder in the reception and rereading it to see if there were any small last-minute changes. Randolph was done taken care of, and as she saw the minor things she had in her schedule, curiosity took control and her mind drifted off to the previous subject of discussion: the athlete.

Not sure if she would see him again, she felt bad about not having the proper time to say her goodbyes. Therefore, she decided to take a few minutes to look around and see if he was possibly lingering in the hospital grounds.

She first checked the physiotherapy room and much to her surprise, it was empty. Andre had finished his shift, according to Sienna who had clarified that question of hers.

Eliana decided to check in some other possible rooms, before going back to her current patient of the hour, Mr. Randolph.

The young nurse was so busy checking her files, that she didn't notice the tall figure in front of her before she felt a pair of hands on her shoulders. After startled, she felt confused and quickly looked up to see the tall young man standing in front of her.