10. / FLASHBACK

ELIANA HAYES

"C'mon in, the door is open." Grandmother Pamela said.

"Hello Grandma." Eliana greeted kissing her in the cheek and she sat on the couch. "What do you have there?"

She saw that her grandmother was holding a couple of polaroids in her hand, alongside the photo albums spread across the coffee table and floor in front of her.

"Just thought I'd go through some old memories. Feeling nostalgic today."

"Is that so?"

"Yes, sometimes it's good to reminisce other than through technology."

"You're right."

"Look at this, it's me when I was your age." Her grandmother handed her a picture.

"Now I know where I got this skin from." Both laughed. "You looked so beautiful. Still do!"

"I can thank your great grandfather. He was a stunner, everyone said I got my good looks from him. And this was around the time I started as a nurse in the army, also."

"Do you still have pictures from those days?"

"Of course, honey." Pamela pointed to a photo album nearby. "Can you grab that one for me?"

Both went through the album until they reached her portraits and observed the polaroid together.

"Gorgeous, grandma. I swear, back in your day people were so beautiful."

"And natural, there were no fillers nor any of that silly stuff."

"Grandma." Eliana laughed. "Well, here I came thinking you'd want to hear about your the date I had yesterday, if I can even call it that." She announced, whispering the last part.

"A date? How come am I only now hearing about this?"

"It was a surprise, I was working, when he picked me up and asked if I wanted to go."

"And who's this he we may be talking about?"

"It's actually funny, remember that guy I mentioned from basketball that I looked after?"

"The basketball guy?" Pamela widened her eyes before going through some more portraits.

"Yes! Bradley."

"That is right, the one on television the other day. How was it?"

"It was very nice, no expectations about it but he was such a gentleman and somehow he remembered it was my birthday from these old medical procedures we had done long time ago." Eliana smiled down at herself. " I just didn't think anyone paid this much attention to what I say in years."

"He's a good young man, then."

"Indeed. I remember all throughout the date I kept thinking 'grandma would adore him'."

"I'm sure I would. Where did he take you?"

"To a restaurant just a little off downtown. The food was great also."

"You must always value these men that treat you nicely."

"I know, grandma."

"What did you say was his name again? Bradley-"

"Bradley Beal, yes."

Pamela turned to face Eliana and put the photo in her hand down. "Beal?"

"Yes."

"I knew a Beal once. He was actually the nicest man I've ever met, after your grandfather, that is."

Eliana smiled and listened in. "Where did you know him from?"

"The army, actually. Back in that time from the picture I showed you. You know, at that time it was difficult to have any sort of serious conversation. Everyone was so stressed because of the war. I tried my best to help these men so that when they entered my office, the guns and violence were off their minds. And he was one of the only ones that helped me do the same."

"What was his name?"

"Bruce, Bruce Beal. I could swear I had his picture somewhere around here as well." She looked around the floor where the albums were scattered and sighed.

For the following minutes, both Eliana and Pamela looked around for the portrait of Bruce, whilst discussing further details about Elianna's date the night before.

"Here! I told you" .Pamela hold up a polaroid.

"He looks awfully familiar." Eliana blinked as she took the picture in her hands.

Pamela smiled at her expression and looked at the picture along with her.

"That is Bruce. Everyone knew him, wherever he went. He always had that same smile in his face and always tried to spread that energy in his unity."

"Did you two ever keep in touch?"

"We did for a few years, but he eventually moved to Missouri with his family and I moved here where I met your grandfather." Pamela paused and smiled at the portrait, now in her hands. "I would have loved for them to meet, he would've liked your grandfather so much."

Eliana put her arm around her grandmother and rested her head in her shoulder.

Unfortunately, her grandfather had passed a long time ago in her childhood years. An unknown disease that doctors couldn't possibly get theirs heads across.

That was around the same time Eliana decided to become a nurse. She was so eager to help him get better and overcome his disease yet frustrated of her inability to help.

Ever since that episode, she always kept her grandmother company whenever she could. And Pamela sure was her greatest supporter.

"Beal men are good men."

"I can tell." Eliana replied, lost in her thoughts.

"I do hope things work out between you and this Bradley."

"No, grandma, we are just friends." Elianna chuckled. "Just friends." She repeated to herself.

- ⋆ -

all is fictional! credit to the photo 

owners, i took them from google.

what's your opinion on this twist?