5. / LATE NIGHT TALKS

ELIANA HAYES

Eliana had had a long tough shift throughout the evening, there were still a few hours left and she couldn't wait to call it a day, or in this case: a night. From patients to extra-curricular help that was required, the young woman felt the word exhausted being an understatement.

Soon enough, she was prepared to leave after checking whether her help was required anywhere else.

"I'm leaving." She informed Sienna behind the desk, preparing to grab her stuff.

"You better check your patient on room 612 before you do that."

She frowned at the recognition of the number. "Bradley? What for?"

"We're on first name basis now, look at that."

The young woman stared at her colleague, patient rising below 0.

"Alright!" Sienna lifted both her hands up "he's asked for you and I think Regina called in late."

Eliana sighed heavily, before nodding.

"Don't kill the messenger!" The young woman behind the counter spoke.

"You're safe. For now."

As if the night hadn't dragged itself for what felt like five extra hours, Eliana tried reuniting the amount of energy she had left to drag herself onto the sixth floor. Although exhaustion took over her five senses, she still tried being nice and polite to whoever passed her.

Took her no longer than seven minutes to get to the player's room.

"Knock knock" she announced her arrival, "is everything alright?"

"Could be better" the athlete sighed.

Eliana walked across his hospital bed to check on his file.

"What's wrong? I thought we had everything in order."

"I've been feeling some strange pain."

"Did it progress after the medicine?"

Bradley nodded, forgetting that the young woman was busy organizing his files, before she looked up at him and noticed his expression.

"Pretty badly, to be honest."

Eliana noticed Regina's delay meant the proper morning medicine could also have a delay, so she needed to check with Matthew before giving the heads up that she could, indeed, provide Bradley with the extra pain relievers.

"Since you're entering the end of the third week it's usual to have some ups and downs on pain levels."

"I was wishing it would have improved by now."

"You know what they say, that little bump on the road leads to a beautiful destination which is where you're heading." She pointed the pen in her hand towards the young man.

Soon enough Matthew called her, giving the heads up for the administration of the following dose of pain relievers and consequent pulse check.

Eliana carefully checked his pulse, noticing the young man was not as vivant as before.

"May I ask your name and birthday?" Eliana asked, necessary for medical procedure.

"28th of June, Bradley Beal."

She noticed the silence settling between the both but with a mist of exhaustion and conformity made Eliana believe this was a comfortable silence, rather than awkward. However, she felt the need to speak up.