• 34: Puppy Love •

Melody

I had forgotten what date it was until I walked into the school to see Halloween decorations up. We had a week to go until the spooky holiday and people were buzzing with excitement in the school halls. I glanced at Carson. "Do you know what you're dressing up as?"

"Not yet; it's usually a last-minute thing," he replied with a chuckle, making me laugh as well. "What about you?"

"Nothing probably," I shrugged. Sure, people would probably dress up to come to school, but there was no sense wasting money on a costume just to come to school. I didn't care that much, I wasn't going out, and I was too old to trick or treat.

"You should wear something! We have a costume contest here every year for prizes!" Carson encouraged. I wrinkled my nose, making him laugh. Before we could continue our conversation, a blonde-haired demon appeared in front of us with a wicked smile on her face. I guess it was supposed to be a flirty smile but most things she does seems wicked.

"Hello handsome," she purred at Carson. If I had eaten breakfast, it would certainly be all over the floor now. She leaned slightly forward, trying to show off the contents inside her white shirt.

"Uh, hey Rose," Carson replied uncomfortably. I smirked, which made her look at me with a slight edge. She flipped her blonde hair over her shoulder as if she was tossing the thought and my presence away and reached into her back pocket.

"So, the twins are having a massive Halloween party and wanted to invite you, but I thought I'd give you your invitation. It's this Saturday and anyone who's important at this school is going to be there." Rose pushed the envelope towards Carson, which he took gingerly from her perfectly manicured claws. Rose turned to me and raised an eyebrow. "If you're wondering where your invite is, I did say 'anyone who's important' and you are not important... you are actually a nobody."

My fists tightened a little in frustration, but I simply smiled and shrugged at her.

After opening his invitation, he smiled a little. "Hey look, it says that I can bring a plus one!"

"Yeah, I was thinking we c–"

"Melody, would you like to go with me to Summer and Serena's Halloween party?" He asked, cutting her off. My eyes widened in shock and I bit back a smile.

"She's not invited!" Rose whined, stomping her high-heel clad foot. I didn't think people past the age of eight did that.

"Well... she is important... so she is now," Carson said.

"Ugh!" Rose turned around and marched back to her group of friends, who were giving us all very curious and strange stares.

"Thanks," I said, when she was out of earshot.

"Don't thank me, I want you to come," Carson replied as we stopped at my locker. Alani and Emma walked past us and gave me a not-so-subtle wink, which made my cheeks heat up. Carson chuckled quietly, which made the embarrassment worse. I knew that they were going to pester me as soon as they could, and I was really glad to be spending lunch in the art room.

***

At lunch, I sat in the art room with my backpack clutched in my lap. Vaguely aware of the fact that Ms. Foster was probably watching me, I decided to pull out my sketchbook. I didn't really have much to work on, and I could feel my stomach rumbling a little. It made me a little stressed because I knew that though I hadn't really eaten since Saturday, it felt like the eating had tricked my stomach into thinking it needed more food. Maybe I should try those appetite suppressants again...