• 69: The Tea •

Melody

On Friday morning, I noticed that Margot and my dad had already left the house. They wouldn't be back until Sunday, which was Christmas Eve, but that was fine by me. I had barely said more than two words to Margot since the banquet and didn't feel the need to find a reason to. I wished my dad was around, but at this point I would be naïve to think that they weren't pretty much a package deal.

I smoothed down my high-waisted, grey, plaid skirt and straightened out my cropped, baggy sweater before heading out my room. Mia stopped me at the stairs and raised an eyebrow.

"Are you going to be home tonight?" Mia asked. I shrugged.

"Let me guess... you're throwing your annual Christmas party?" I sighed.

"If Carson comes, you have to come too right?" Mia asked flatly.

"Don't look so excited," I mumbled sarcastically.

"I just need to know... we can't let people know we're stepsisters!" Mia said.

"Don't worry, I won't show up to your lame excuse for people to get drunk and dress like Santa's ho, ho, hos," I replied going down the stairs.

Carson was already waiting outside, so I quickly slipped on my jacket and thigh high boots, leaving Mia in the empty house. I slammed the door behind me and stomped down the porch steps.

My foot slipped as it touched a piece of ice, and I managed to bang my left arm on the railing as I caught myself. I rolled my eyes and walked to the car, more carefully.

"You okay?" Carson asked as I sat down.

"Mia is having a party tonight... You're invited," I said, glaring out the window.

"Oh right. You're not allowed to go?" Carson asked.

"Why do you think you haven't seen me before this year?" I asked quietly.

"You're never allowed to go," Carson replied, squeezing my hand softly. He put the car into drive and turned the wheel. "Let's do something tonight. We'll drop by after school, you can grab warm leggings and we'll go skating, and then watch a movie at my house."

"Okay," I said, giving him a small smile.

***

Carson kissed me on the forehead before going to his locker when we stepped into the school's main hallway. As I walked to mine, I noticed Alani, Noah, and Emma standing by it.

"Melody!" Emma greeted with a big smile. She threw her arms around me, and though I hugged her back, I was uncomfortable. All I could think about was whether or not she could feel the fat on my body that I saw when I looked in the mirror. She let go of me and I felt relieve enter my body.

"Where were you yesterday?" Alani asked. "I didn't see you in math!"

"Yeah! I missed you in art!" Emma said. I smiled at that.

"I had a shoot."

"As in a photoshoot?" Emma questioned. I nodded.

"Yes girl!" Alani said.

"Sick!" Noah added.

"That's so exciting!" Emma said.

"Well, I want to hear all about it," Noah begged.

"Yeah! Come to the cafeteria at lunch!" Alani said.

"I don't know about that..." I said, opening up my locker and taking my jacket off. "I mean, I'll tell you about it. But I don't know if the cafeteria is a good idea."