Eighteen

They left Milo's ship and stepped into the empty park. It was late, the sun was long gone, and post people had left for home. They quickly left the park and walked up to the more crowded part of town, where the restaurants were located. Dimmed lights filled the streets and the soft chatter from the people still outside was almost soothing, spreading a calming atmosphere over the city.

Logan walked close to Milo, so close it almost seemed like he wanted to protect him. So close, Milo could easily grab his hand if only he had the courage. It felt so stupid, not being able to grab his hand even though he had been talking to Logan all day without a doubt in his mind. But this, it was different. Milo couldn't tell what it was, but grabbing Logan's hand wouldn't be the same as talking to him. Like he would be crossing a line he didn't even know was there.

Confused, Milo's eyebrows ducked together and he stared at the ground, walking slightly behind Logan as he struggled with his thoughts. After a while, he felt a pair of eyes on him and he looked up again.

"What's wrong?" Logan asked, using his normal voice again. His hands were unoccupied, but he still chose not to use them.

"Nothing..." Milo signed, having no choice but to use his hands as he talked. "Just thinking."

"Are you worrying about something?"

"Can I hold your hand?" Milo suddenly asked, his eyes widening as he realised it. He quickly looked away, afraid of what Logan would do, but he didn't do anything.

He just smiled and stuck his hand out. And Milo took it with pleasure. The blush on his face didn't go away for the entire remaining walk.

When they were almost there, Milo noticed that more people stared at them like there was something unusual about them, and Milo wondered if it was because of the handholding. Did people think they were a couple? Milo thought of Logan's story he had told before. Was handholding already too much for people?

Milo loosened his grip on Logan's hand to test if he wanted to let go, but he only held his hand tighter. Immediately after, they turned a corner and Logan led them into a cozy restaurant. The small space was filled with decorative flowers, and fairy lights and candles scattered across the place painted the room a warm yellow. It smelled of spices and rich flavours Milo couldn't recognize.

A lady welcomed them, and after glancing at their still intertwined hands, her smile grew even wider. "Table for two?" She asked, and Logan nodded. They were led into the restaurant, apparently to one of the small tables in the corner, and Milo was forced to let go of Logan's hand as they had to maneuver through several tables.

Finally, they could sit down. "What would you like to drink?" She asked them, her head turning towards Logan first. After Logan ordered his drink, a cherry coke (no idea what that was), the lady turned her head towards Milo, and Milo just stared back, having no idea what to do.

"What would you like to drink, dear?" She asked, and Milo looked at Logan nervously.

"What do I do?" He signed, and Logan chuckled. He looked back at the waitress, who now had an understanding expression. "Make that two cherry cokes."