Twenty Three

An hour later, they were stood in the kitchen covered in flour. There was cake batter all over the counter and Milo had spilled his drink.

Logan's laugh was echoing through the kitchen and Milo almost toppled over from laughing. Gasping noises left his throat and he had never laughed harder before. A streak of red food colouring was smeared over his cheek, and Logan had cocoa powder in his hair.

"Come on..." Logan said in between his laughing, "we need to beat in the food colouring."

Halfway down the road of making their red velvet cakes, things went wrong and they accidentally poured half the bag of flour into the bowl instead of the small, desired amount because Logan wanted to pour it out of the bag itself. He was good at measuring he said.

Instead, the bag teared up and everything inside dropped into the bowl and also everywhere around it. It was in their clothes, on the counter, on the floor and everything in between.

After Logan had dusted off the floor and vacuumed it, they tried again, and with Milo's good measurements it finally worked. However, after the incident they weren't able to stop laughing.

Gasps and screams of laughter filled the apartment, and the actual red velvet cake would probably be done in about five hours if they went on like that.

Biting his lip, Milo slowly poured the red into the bowl, and Logan started to blend everything together. After a while, and with a lot of concentration and taking turns blending, the mixture was an even red.

Milo smiled proudly, and lifted his hand up to say something, but Logan high fived him all of a sudden and their hands bumped into each other. Any other day, this would leave a blush on their face and an awkward silence, but now they both just started shaking from laughter again.

"Don't... drop the bowl!" Logan breathed out, and Milo wrapped both his hands around it to prevent it from falling.

After their laughs had died down a little, Logan glanced in the cookbook, and read the next sentence on the list.

"Pour the batter into the cake tray, and..." Logan paused, his smile dropping, "put it into the pre-heated oven."

They both looked at the oven, and then at each other.

"We didn't pre-heat the oven," Milo signed, after setting the bowl on the counter, and Logan shook his head. He was already biting his lip to prevent himself from laughing, but when they looked each other in the eye again they both couldn't help ourselves.

"We're terrible cooks! Terrible!" He laughed, and quickly turned on the oven so it would heat up.

Now there was nothing to do but wait. And when they were done laughing they looked at each other, covered in flour and God knows what else, and sat down on the floor.

They both leaned their backs against the oven, feeling the slight heat through the glass door, and Milo rested his head on Logan's shoulder.

"I really hope, when this is done, the cake tastes good," Logan said, and Milo nodded.

It went quiet, the only sound coming from the oven behind them, and they enjoyed the silence for a while, letting their laughs die down. They sat like that for a few minutes, and Milo starts to feel Logan's constant gaze on him.

He looked around, and found Logan studying his face like it was an artwork. There was a rosy tone on his face and he shyly looked away from Logan again, deciding to focus on the floor.

It was strange, how quickly the atmosphere could change from weightless to tense again. It was like something was bound to happen and they were both expecting it, but not knowing what it was that was bound to happen.

"You... you have something..." Logan began, and Milo's head turned to him again. Logan lifted his arm towards Milo's face, and Milo frowned a little. "on your cheek."