::Chapter 6:: A Walk In The Park

I knew Deridovely would protect Tori no matter what, considering I had ordered him to and he had to do as I said, even if it ended with him dying. Stepping through the smoky mist I walked out on a roof that overlooked the city, my scythe appearing in hand as I grinned. Running my hand over the staff I felt the dark magic infused metal heat up, it's surface humming as I gripped it tightly. The black blade shimmered like ripples on water as I scanned the surrounding area.

Several high ranked Demons had appeared in the city and were slaughtering several of my other Hellhounds, reports saying they were looking for me. While I enjoyed killing Demons and other vermin within their rankings, I usually made the kill clean cut and merciful rather than slow and painful. I did not take kindly to them slaughtering my spies and helpers without reason, so their death would come slow and painful, dripping the life out of them like a slightly cracked bowl.

The blade of my scythe flashed before its head curved towards my right, its vibrations becoming quicker as I walked to the edge of the roof towards where it was pointing. "Good girl." I purred, my cloak turning into a tightly fitted leather jacket and skinny jeans. Jumping off the roof I shaped myself like a dagger heading straight to the ground, my figure concealed so no humans knew of my existence. Just as I was about to hit the ground I opened massive black wings that had sprouted from my back, cupping the air within them allowing me to shoot upwards before I continued to follow my scythe.

I flew over a massive courtyard avoiding several large oak trees that stood proudly throughout the grassy area. My scythe curved downwards so suddenly I thought it might snap, the blade nearly taking off my arm as it whipped to the side saying I had passed a Demonic presence. Landing I folded my wings flat to my back before letting them evaporate into a dark mist, rolling my shoulders I sighed. "Let's get this over with." I grumbled letting my scythe disappear as I silently walked around the courtyard smelling ashes, which symbolizes a Demon was near.

In front of me several Humans walked along a paved pathway, dogs and kids running around and playing without a care in the world. Two dogs whizzed by me, the second one stopping and running back over to me, its teeth bared as it growled and barked at me. Had I been like a Human I would have been scared it was going to attack me, but being the charming beast I was, I simply watched it with bored eyes. "Really? Think your proving something do you?" Though Humans were blind to me, animals could still sense my presence. Rolling my eyes I let my teeth grow into massive needles that filled my mouth, my eyes turning into slits as my skin became grey.

Letting out a snarl I snapped at the dog, watching as its ears flattened to its head and its tail lowered between its legs. I would be putting it lightly if I said the dog hadn't just pissed itself right then and there. Clicking my tongue I continued my walk as my face and teeth returned to normal, my eyes lingering on a pond that was half concealed by a hill. Had I not been here to savagely murder a Demon, this would have been a very relaxing walk maybe even pleasant.

I rarely had the opportunity to do so since every supernatural being with a big nose was challenging me at everything, somehow they knew something was going on between me and another being even though I smothered what indication there was that I was interested in a Human. As I neared the pond I began to smell blood, fresh coppery blood that made my teeth sharpen slightly at the thought of tasting the sweetness of it. At the top of the hill I was now aware that I had walked in on a feast. Several animals and children had been slain and were now a heaping mess of flesh, bone and blood all being devoured by what looked like a little boy.

The boys head bobbed up and down as he bit into the flesh like a starving animal, his shoulders vibrating as he slashed at the pile to rip the carcasses apart. Venom filled my mouth as I thought about how long it had been since I had feasted like that, usually only taking just enough souls to get me through the day while keeping an eye on all the Demon activity, my servants and Tori.