::Chapter 12:: Winged or Un-Winged?

I hadn't heard anything from Grim since yesterday, a part of me feeling like it was wrong to have agreed to go out with Jared moments after Grim had kissed me. He obviously felt something towards me, but then again it could just be one of his usual tricks that he so dearly loved to pull on me. The clock on my wall slowly strides towards seven-o'clock, my nerves beginning to make me a bit anxious as I looked down myself wondering if jeans and a T-shirt would be appropriate for the movie.

Should I have called Tiffany and asked for one of her casual dresses for the night? Was Jared still coming to pick me up, or had he forgotten?

My mind raced as I gnawed nervously at my nails watching the clocks hand move at slower then snail speeds. I hadn't really gone on dates in my younger years and suddenly being asked by a matured man to go out with him scared me half to death. I bet Grim's real happy about that. Was this just like a friend thing or was it more? I was so ravelled in my thoughts I actually fell off the stool in my kitchen from jumping so high when there was a sudden knock on my door.

He was early...

There was still roughly five minutes to seven and my heart beat quickened as I thought about why he was early, but after a moment I composed myself reminding myself this was normal and paced over to the door. Jared greeted me with a friendly smile, his green eyes drifting down my body before he tilted his head slightly. "You look good, you ready to get going?" I stood frozen, my body completely still for a few moments before I forced a smile and nodded, eyeing myself after forgetting what I was wearing.

"Thanks, you look good too." He wore simple black jeans, a white V neck under a striped hoodie and black canvas shoes. We took the elevator to the first floor then headed out into the mildly dark street. It was getting closer to October and the leaves had begun to fall off the trees leaving the branches bare and slightly frosted in the chilly air. I followed him towards the parking lot, all the stalls taken. One car caught my eyes, a silver Dodge Charger that sat proudly amongst small 'puddle jumpers' that had several rust spots on their frames. Jared glanced over his shoulder smiling at me as he spun the keys around his finger, his hand catching the keys before he rose his hand signalling for me to stop.

Jumping in the car he drove it out of the stall, stopping in front of me. As I walked towards the passenger door I was surprised to see Jared get out and open the passenger door for me, his eyes shining as he smiled motioning for me to get in. "Thank you, but you really didn't have to..." I spoke softly as my cheeks heated up, butterflies fluttering in my stomach. As the door closed I watched as he stood on my side for a few moments looking around suspiciously as if looking for something, then swiftly went to the drivers side and got in. Baffled by this my eyes remained on him when he entered the car and started the car up once more, his seatbelt clicking as his eyes met mine.

He stared at me for a few seconds examining my face before that charming face returned to his face. "Sorry, it's just a bad habit. I was taught to treat every woman with the utmost respect in all situations." His hand rested on gear shifter, his gaze remaining on me as if waiting to see my reaction. I stumbled to find anything to say that wouldn't come out offensive or off setting so I simply smiled and nodded, my eyes wandering around the very detailed interior of the Charger that roared to life as Jared put in drive and headed onto the Main Street.

The Theatre was packed as we entered, popcorn and drinks in hand. We sat centred with the massive glowing screen that played various adds as people filed in and got to their seats chatting quietly as we waited for the movie to start. Jared had kept the title a secret saying it was a surprise that he thought I would like, my nerves settled down by now as we munched on the overflowing bag of buttery goodness that sat in between us.