::Chapter 23:: Fallen Angel

After Grim had taken back control of himself and forced the beast back within him he brought me back home. Everyone had gone home or left, except for Tiffany who was asleep in the guest bedroom. He hadn't explained what had happened or remembered being overcome by his beast and showing me a memory. Sure he was the Grim Reaper, a being with the power to take life; but he was the same as a fallen Angel. He had good within him yet it was swallowed whole by the darkness within him. We all have a little darkness that we came to control in time and Grim was no exception.

Laying on my bed I couldn't help but toss and turn, the sky outside a deep purple with small clusters of stars dotting it like paint on a canvas. My mind was swarmed with thoughts of Grim and Jared. Grim had told me to stay away from him but I felt the urge to see him, at least once; maybe even get more information from him to help me understand what was going on between him and Grim.

Slowly getting out of bed I trudged out of my apartment and toward his, my hand stoping inches from the door as I hesitated to knock. What time was it? It had to be at least two o'clock in the morning, was he even up? Before I could collect my thoughts the door slowly opened to expose a perfect looking Jared, his green eyes flashed as he saw me, his lips pulling into a soft smile.

"Tori? How have you been, are you alright?" His eyes darted back and forth from mine after he had examined me, concern edging his face before he stepped aside and let me enter. Slowly closing the door he eyed me again before cautiously pacing towards me to pull me into a tight embrace.

I had no words as sadness started to swell through my heart. Confused I hid my face in his chest as tears streamed down my cheeks and stained his grey shirt. Rubbing small circles in the middle of my back he rested his head on mine offering me comfort while letting me calm down. "I-I don't know why I'm crying..." Laughing slightly I pulled away to see Jared watching me with soft eyes, his brows creased slightly in concern.

"It's fine, take your time." Smiling gently he shook his head chuckling. Fingering the wet marks on his shirt I smiled, laughing softly before pulling away from him to wipe my eyes and compose myself. He waited patiently before pacing towards the kitchen and poring some wine.

"I wanted to come talk to you but I didn't know what to say." Sitting at the table I took hold of the wine glass, my gaze lowered on the red liquid that reflected an eerie version of myself. "I'm fine it's just..." Taking a breath I shook my head before meeting his gaze. "I'm so confused Jared, I mean, why are you and Grim at odds? I know your an Angel and he's Death but that doesn't mean you have to wage wars on each other..."

"True, but I am bound to the light and he is bound to the darkness. It's always been this way, though as of late... I've been number one on his radar because of my connection with you." Tapping his fingers on the wine glass he glanced down as if trying to find the right words. "It's really complicated. But I can explain that memory you saw yesterday."

Shocked I watched him in silence for a few moments. How could he have known about that? "Uhh yeah, that would help me out a lot. Why was Grim being torchured?" Jared smirked softly before taking a sip of wine.

"Has he not told you about his parents?"

"I saw a memory of his mother but that's about it, no word on his father really... why?" Taking a few sips of my wine I watched as he chuckled shaking his head.

"Well your in for a treat my dear. You see, Grim's parents were a toxic mix. His mother had been an Angel but she had fallen in love with a Demon, I'm sure you know the name Lucifer?"

"The Devil?!" I replied wide eyed. He gave a nod, the smile not leaving his lips.

"That would be him. She had been one of the purest Angels there were, yet once she fell in love with Lucifer she began to change. Her wings blackened and so did her heart. She went against the father and fought with the Demons against the light Angels, her brethren. Eventually her wings were ripped from her back and she was dropped from Heaven."