Chapter 5: Close Enough

"Favi, you've been indoors for days. I'm worried. What's eating at you? Are you okay?" I asked Dorian, concern etched on my face.

He scoffed, "Mind your own business. Why are you so nosy?"

I took a step back, hurt by his tone. "I'm sorry. I just wanted to check on you."

"Get out. I don't need your help, Hisha!" he spat.

That was it. I'd had enough of his insults. "Yes, I may be a Hisha, but at least I have real friends who love me. Can you say the same? You uncultured narcissist!..." I fired back, my anger boiling over.

Dorian's eyes widened in surprise, and for a moment, he was speechless and ashamed. But I didn't care. I had finally stood up to him and I was ready to face whatever punishment he decides. He broke down and apologized. "I'm so sorry, Petra. I didn't mean to hurt you. I'm really sorry. It's just...a lot is going on with me lately. You won't understand."

I saw fear in his eyes, and my anger melted away. "It's okay. I forgive you. It doesn't matter anyway, because I'm leaving."

But he grasped my arm, his grip gentle. "Wait. Please don't leave. I don't want you to go."

I felt a spark of emotion, and his sad eyes almost brought me to tears. "It's okay. I'm here. What's wrong? You can talk to me."

He hesitated, then opened up. "I'm being forced to do something I don't want to do. It's crazy. I can't bring myself to do it. I wish I didn't have feelings for you. Maybe it would have been easier...But I do, and I would never...I can't..."

His voice trembled with fear. "I don't understand. You can't do what? I'm confused."

He took a deep breath. "They want me to kill you."

          _____________________________

"The E.T.C., General Kron, wants you dead," Dorian revealed, his voice laced with concern. "He thinks you're a threat to our kind, and he believes I'm the perfect one to eliminate you."

I was speechless, my mouth agape. Finally, I stammered, "Why me?"

Dorian shook his head. "I don't know. Why would the General see a human slave girl as a threat?"

The truth hit me like a ton of bricks. "You've been getting close to me to kill me!"

Dorian's face contorted in anguish. "No, Petra, no! That was before I met him. I was close to you for another reason...I'm in love with you. That's why I've been staying away. I thought if I did, it would make it easier for me..."

I cut him off, my voice trembling. "Easier for you to kill me?"

He grasped my arms, his eyes pleading. "No, I would never hurt you. I love you, Petra."

I pushed him away, my heart racing. "Bullshtak! I don't believe you. You only love yourself."

Dorian's face fell, but he persisted. "Believe what you want. I know how I feel, even if you don't feel the same."

As he drew closer, my knees weakened.

I sighed, "So, what happens if you don't kill me?"

Dorian looked away, his voice barely above a whisper. "My father's head will be used as a footstool."

My heart went out to him. "I'm so sorry, Dorian. I wish we could..."

He smiled faintly. "Nothing will happen to you or my father. We'll find a way, I promise. And you don't have to call me Favi anymore...it's Dorian."

Without thinking, I threw my arms around him and kissed him passionately. Then, I smiled shyly. "Who said I don't feel the same?"