Chapter 10: Almost

"That's impossible!" Dorian exclaimed.

"But It's true," I replied, taking off  my cape to reveal my pregnant belly.

Dorian's eyes widened in shock. "Holy Shtako! But how?...Fuck! The union...we're dead. Why didn't you tell me? What's wrong with you?"

I explained calmly, "I knew it would put us in danger. A pregnant human girl is normal, but a pregnant human girl and her Caspian lover? That's suspicious. If we get caught, we'll lose our baby.

Dorian's face contorted in fear. "By Shanje, we have a seed!...we're dead!"

"My baby is not a seed! Don't ever!" 

"I'm sorry P but what are we going to do?"

"I don't know" I answered "I think we should try to..." "Shhh..." Dorian dragged me down, someone's coming.
We hid quietly.

There were two men, ETC guards. 

"I'm sick of this job. Our pay is not even enough. All this for a stupid girl!" One of them said. "I think it's the boy that's stupid. Leaving the whole collective and wealth to go after a dirty human girl" the other replied. "Well Kron says we should kill the boy and bring the girl to him. I'm only doing this for the reward. We just have to find them before the others do"
"When all this is over, I'm leaving."
"But why?"
"Have you forgotten about the union? They're going to wipe us out! All of us! I just want to get this over with and leave before they get to us"
"But you know what the General does to deserters"
"Fuck the General! He's weak and scared of the girl. Because of the prophecy"
"Wait.." the other stopped his companion "we're not alone".

"Come out! Or I'll drop you!"
"Its okay...don't shoot, please" Dorian stood up, his hands above his head. I followed behind.

"Ro, are you seeing this?"
"Shanje! Our prayers have been answered. Kill him" he said grabbing me.

"No! No! No! Please! Don't hurt him! Please I beg you! Take me instead the general wants me. Please take me! Please!!" I screamed and pleaded in tears
"Who cares? Drop him!"
There were two gunshots
"Nooooo!!!!" I screamed so hard I couldn't hear my voice. My heart missed a few beats as I struggled out of of the grasp of the one holding me. He fell to the ground with a loud thud. The other one still struggled for his life and then there was another shot, killing him instantly.

I crawled to my lover. He looked alright, clean, unhurt. How? What happened? I hugged him tight.

"We need to leave now!"
We looked back. "Gus!" Dorian said relieved. "Oh Gus. Thanks man. You saved us."
"Yeah time to go" Gus said, helping me up.

It was almost dawn by now. We found a cozy place and set up camp there. Dorian held me close to him while Gus built a fire. I was still afraid. He could have died. "I was so scared" I cried "I thought you were dead...Did you hear what those men said?....I don't know how I'll live without you" 

"I know. It's okay. I'm fine" he hugged me "we're okay".