Chapter 9: Finders' Keepers

I wandered from town to city, evading detection, driven by reasons I couldn't quite explain. I knew Dorian was searching for me, but I didn't want to be found. It wasn't until I noticed familiar, yet hostile faces tailing me that I realized an ETC search party was on my trail. This cat-and-mouse game continued for over three days until I finally found refuge in Crystal City, among my father's people. They welcomed me with open arms, and Aunt Tesserae took me under her wing, providing comfort and protection.

I shared my tale of survival with her – the betrayal by Aida, the rebel camp, the House of Gale, and my daring escape. She vowed to keep me safe, hidden from Aida, the ETC, and all potential dangers. Crystal City was a haven; I adored the Lyraks, with their flair for fashion, kindness, and politeness. However, as time passed, I grew restless, yearning to reunite with my father. So, I bid farewell to Crystal City and set out for the Royal City, eager to find him.

______________________

Dorian's search for Petra had become a never-ending odyssey, with six sprawling cities, winding paths, and dark forests yielding nothing but false hopes. As the days blurred together, he found himself lost in circles, his nights spent in motels or camping under the stars. On one particularly bitter and lonely night, he teetered on the brink of surrender, his heart heavy with the thought that Petra didn't love him after all. If she did, she would have reached out, or he would have found her by now.

As he pondered his next move, a sudden sound jolted him to attention. He sprang to his feet, pistol  ready, flashlight in hand. "What was that?" he whispered to himself.

The rustling grew louder, and Dorian dashed behind a tree, extinguishing the light. His fists clenched, ready to strike. "Owww! What the hell!" a female voice cried out.

Dorian's grip relaxed, and he fumbled to turn on the flashlight. "Oh, I'm so sorry, I thought you were a guard or someone else."

The reply was laced with anger. "Well, I'm not! Asshole!"

As the light flickered to life, Dorian's eyes widened in disbelief. "I'm really sorry, here, let me help you."

The girl winced, shielding her eyes. "Get that thing away from me, it's too bright!"

And then, their eyes met. "Petra?" Dorian asked, his voice trembling.

The girl's expression changed from anger to shock. "What? How did you know... Oh, it's you."

             ___________________________

The emotional confrontation...

"I always wondered what I'd do when I saw you," Dorian said, his chest heaving. "Kiss you? Hug you? Punch you in the face?"

I rubbed my sore jaw, still feeling the sting. "You already did one."

Dorian walked away, his back to me. "I didn't mean to hit you, but it was well-deserved."

I shouted after him, "What?! You're not going to ask me anything or listen to my side?"

He replied without turning around, "Nope. What's there to know?"

I pleaded, "Dori, wait! Come on, please hear me out. It's not my fault, I swear!"

Dorian turned back, his eyes blazing. "What story, Petra? I thought you loved me, but you used me!"

I protested, "No, Dori, I didn't use you! I love you, you don't understand!"

He sneered, "Oh, I understand everything. Two months, Petra! I searched for you for two months, and you didn't even bother to reach out. You're selfish, just like all humans!"

I grabbed his arms, desperate. "Please, just listen! I only wanted to—"

He cut me off, his voice cold. "You emptied my father's armory, stole everything. You never loved me. You deceived and used me. That's why you ran... and what's with that ugly cape? So I wouldn't find you?"

I begged, "Dorian, wait... please..."

He pushed me away. "No! I don't want to hear it."

I shouted, "Dorian!!"

He turned back, his face twisted in pain. "What?!"

I took a deep breath. "I'm pregnant!"

The words hung in the air, a bombshell that changed everything.