Chapter 11: Gus

"I know why General Kron wants you dead" Gus turned to Petra, his expression serious.

 "There's a prophecy that a human slave girl will give birth to a child who will grow up to murder him and take over the ETC. The prophecy doesn't specify whether the child will rule with good or evil intentions."

Dorian's face fell, his eyes filled with sorrow. "That explains a lot. The General wanted you dead long before you became pregnant. He knew it was going to happen; he just didn't know how."

Gus added, "And now, Kron realizes he gave the order to the wrong person. In fact, his order fulfilled the prophecy."

I looked at both of them, laughter bubbling up inside me. "This is absurd!" I exclaimed, turning to Dorian. "Can you believe this?"

Dorian's expression remained calm. "Petra, this is no laughing matter. Our lives are in danger. You must understand the gravity of the situation."

But I couldn't take it anymore. I stood up to leave. "Where are you going?" Dorian asked, concern etched on his face.

"Away from you both and your ridiculous talk! My baby is no murderer!" I exclaimed, my voice rising.

Gus looked at Dorian, puzzled. "What's wrong with her?"

Dorian shook his head. "She's still in shock. It's too much for her to take in. I'll calm her down."