Chapter 19: Reunion

"You're awake. Good" says the votan guard.
"Who are you? My head...Where are we?"
"We're somewhere safe" he answers calmly
"Somewhere safe? Who are you? What's going on?"
"Relax, I'm taking you to Dorian" he replies "Really? He sent you?"
"No I offered to help. Remember Rose?"
"Yes?"
"She's my niece. You helped her escape rebel camp. I'm just repaying the favor"
"Oh wow" Petra exclaims. "I heard when you were brought to the camp. I had to help at the last minute. You're very lucky."

  Petra's relief is so great, she can't even offer a thank-you. "What is your name?" she asks
"Han. Put this on" he hands her a simple dress. "That bed there's not the most comfortable" says Han, "but it does the job. Get yourself some rest. We'll be on our way soon."

Petra finally lets her guard down and begins to feel her own exhaustion. Han didn't give her a destination, just a direction, and that's fine. North, south, east, west—it doesn't matter as long as it's away from here.

Petra leans back into the shadows of the truck and slowly pulls the door closed. She lays down, and her tears come as sudden as a summer downpour. She's not sure who or what she's crying for- for her baby, for herself or for the other girls she left behind or for Dorian for rescuing her. Not knowing why makes her tears flow all the more. Instead of wiping the tears away she lets them dry on her face like she used to when she cried herself to sleep every night at rebel camp. 

She had a lovely dream of a perfect life with Dorian and their beautiful baby, it was a boy. She was in her happy place. She opened her eyes for a moment. Stupid dreams. Even the good ones are bad, because they remind you how poorly reality measures up.

A minute later she dozes off again. When she wakes, she rubs the sleep out of her eyes, trying to calculate how far they've come. The truck isn't moving anymore, but they must have traveled at least three hundred miles while she slept. It's a good start, she thought.

There's a knock on the door. "Come on out, kid. Your ride's over." 

She's relieved. Finally! All she wants is to see Dorian, his handsome face, hug him, kiss him, feel his arms wrapped around her.

She swings open the door and steps out to see her lover, but it's not him she sees.

"It's over, Petra" Kron says smiling.

***

Petra feels something kick in her stomach. The baby probably felt the shock too. The environment was familiar. How could she forget, she had spent half of her life here, rebel camp.

She looks at Han, confused. "What happened? How?" she asks "You said you were taking me to Dorian".

"And I did" Han says plainly "He's here".

Dorian is dragged out by Aida, his hands in chains. "Petra!" he exclaims.

Petra is furious but not at Han or anyone else, at herself, for being so stupid to fall into such a cheap trap. "Why are you doing this?" she asks Han "Uhh because I get paid..." he laughs "...handsomely. I'm quite good at my job".

"Welcome home Petra" says the General.

Han grabs her arm roughly "Move!"

She looks at Dorian. He's quiet. He looks terrible, weak, like he's been to hell and back. What the hell did Aida do to him? She thought.