Chapter Two

02VA Fanfic TNB Sequel_Chapter Two

The pain was immense, just like the time when the Jewel burned itself into me except without the burning feeling. Chad was by my side, making the same amount of noise as I am.

Just like it was previously, the pain was gone suddenly. I was left kneeling on the ground; my body hunched over, panting while I try to catch my breath. What on hell just happened? It is the Jewel?

"Dawn, are you okay?" Dad's voice startled me, and I looked up to see him glancing at me with worry. I quickly nodded. The pain was gone. Dad nodded and switched his attention to Chad, who was also catching his breath on the floor beside me.

"Edson, are you alright?" Dad asked. Chad looked up and nodded, his breathing still fast and deep.

It was when both of us had caught our breaths when dad asked to look at Chad's wrists. Chad, looking confused as I am, stretched out both wrists-

That are tattooed like a bracelet with a Jewel in the middle like a charm.

****

"It is the Zashchitnik band." Dad explained. "Where did you stop in your Rassvet book?"

I picked up the book lying on my bedstand and flipped to where a bookmark lies.

"Erm, half of the first chapter...?" I replied sheepishly. Honestly, it is not my fault that I spent almost three months reading on half a chapter.

The book was boring, in my defense. If it wasn't for the fact that it would help me understand my own status, I wouldn't even think of reading it. Besides, I have almost a year more before graduation, surely I'll be able to figure something out or finish reading by then?

Judging by my dad's facial expression, he didn't think so. There must be at least twenty chapters in the book, and if I read only half a chapter in three months... I will only finish reading after a few years, or perhaps a decade. Oops.

"Err... so what is it?" I asked, glancing at a still very confused Chad sitting on a chair opposite me.

"It's a Zashchitnik band." Dad repeated, "The Zashchitnik is who we call the Protector in Russian. Which happens to be in the book. Chapter Fifteen, on Royal Guardians of Rassvet Karalyeva."

Dad turned to Chad. "You said you had a feeling, didn't you? Like an instinct?" Dad asked. Chad nodded.

"It's like Spirit. Like the bond spirit users have with whoever they had shadow-kissed. Except, this bond is forged by the Jewel's choosing of the Royal Guardians- by the strongest instincts to protect their Rassvet Karalyeva. The bond was already there, it was strengthened to its full potential after he made the first kill with the intention of protecting you." Dad explained.

My mind was blank as I digested my dad's words. Royal Guardians...? Bonds?

A sudden vibration broke me out of my thoughts. My focus returned to my dad who pulled out his mobile phone and answered it. After a couple of short answers with the ending of "I'll be right over.", he hung up and looked at me.

"I have to leave. You will not be attending classes tomorrow. Hopefully, you'll finish reading the first chapter of the book." Dad said, before turning to Chad. Oh damn, those words practically meant homework from Dad.

"That applies to you as well. I will talk to the school about your classes for tomorrow. Stay here with Dawn until I come back, I don't think I need to further explain your duty, do I?" It wasn't really a question, but still, Chad stood up from his chair and nodded.

From a confused novice, Chad switched totally into guardian mode the moment dad left the room. Oh well, might as well finish that first chapter of the ancient book.