I. Freedom at Last

I. Freedom at Last

“Hey, dork.”

I was greeted by the usual tall, lean figure. I kept my composure at this familiar daily occurrence.

“Hey, why don’t you say ‘hi’ back?”

 No response. I opened my notebook to a clean page and took out a pen from my bag. I dated the page: June 17, 2013.

“Hey. I’m talking to you. Don’t ignore me.”

It was June 17th, 2013: The last day of school. Surely there wouldn’t be any written work today, but better safe than sorry. Plus, dating my papers gives me a head start to whatever  we’d be writing if there was work to do. Better safe than sorry.

“Hey!”

Ignored once again. I tapped my pen impatiently on the lined notebook paper as I waited for the teacher to show up for the last time this school year. Any moment now… Any moment –

My head jerked backward, my body following. A crash sounds through the room as I hold my head in pain. I open my eyes and study my surroundings. That jerk. I glared at him through strands of my now messed up hair. His face was a blur of blonde hair and tan facial features. I felt around the floor for my glasses. Locating the frames, I put them back on my face.

“What is your problem?” I seethed.

“Just wanted to say hi to my bestest buddy.” He smirked. He had nice teeth. It’s not my first time noticing but it’s just that I’m always too pissed to notice. He’s good looking but his horrible personality cancels out that positive.

I stood up and brushed off the dust particles from my pant legs and behind. I picked up the upside down chair and placed it in an upright position before bending down to seat myself again – for the third time in the class period. To my dismay, my derriere did not meet the seat of the chair as I landed on the floor again. You’d think about being tricked for the second time today I’d learn my lesson and watch his movements before sitting down. But no – I fell. Again.

Laughter erupted throughout the class and the teacher stepped in. You’re late, Mr. Geralds. As always, I mentally reprimand the teacher.

“Okay. Quiet down everyone. Nice to see everyone happy and full of glee this fine June morning,” he said as he gazed around the classroom. They’re not happy, Mr. Geralds. They were literally laughing at my expense. But he’ll never know. I mean it’s only been – what? Two years since this chairing thing has been happening in his classroom. He still doesn’t know.

“Since it’s the last day of school, I thought we’d have some fun,” he sends smiles around the classroom. Creepy. “We’re going to watch a movie!”  He started applauding himself before students joined in reluctantly. “It’s one of my personal favorites – Snow Buddies!” Mr. Geralds was known to be quite the dog lover. “I thought it would be appropriate to cool off on this hot summer day. Enjoy!”

Riiiiing. FREEDOM! I was finally out of that hell hole. All throughout the class period, the devil – I mean Dylan Rivers – was picking on me front and back. Literally. He’d smack my back hard one time and then smack my thigh as I whimpered in pain. What’s worse is – Mr. Geralds didn’t even notice. He thought it was the sound effects from the movie! I don’t know if I should call Mr. Geralds dumb or call Dylan a genius for timing those things properly. I opted for neither as I escaped out of the classroom to my next Dylan-free class.

“Hey! See you at lunch, boo!” he shouted after me. I rolled my eyes as I headed for my next class.