V. You're Gonna Hear Me Roar

On the side is a video of Macy Kate and Kurt Schneider's cover of a song that appears later on in the chapter! 

V. You're Gonna Hear Me Roar

“You look … different,” Dylan said from the driver’s seat beside me. We were currently on our way to my Aunt Tessa’s beach house in Atlantic City. For the occasion, I wore contacts and stored my glasses away safely in one of my bags.

“Yes, I know I’m ugly. Now, eyes on the road,” I commanded. It was about an hour drive, but let’s face it: It’s the summer time and families and couples are pouring in from all over to drive to Atlantic City to play, swim, gamble, and god knows what else.

“Whoa, way to jump to conclusions. I never said you were ugly-”

“Did you want to say that I was pretty then?” I raised an eyebrow and cocked my head to the left as I turned to look at him. We were stuck in traffic on the highway, which gave Dylan the freedom of turning to look at me back.

“What if I did?” He looked at me with resolve in his eyes and I didn’t know how to respond. My eyebrow slowly dropped back down into its normal position and my head was up straight again.

“Uh… then I’d say … ‘thank you’?” I responded unsurely. He chuckled and turns back to face the rear end of the car in front of us once again.

“Well then I’d say, ‘you’re welcome,’” he replied. I nodded and turned to gaze out of the window. We were in the center lane. Meaning, we were surrounded by idiots. And by idiots, I mean: teenage boys.

On the right of our vehicle was a car about the same size as ours except it was a maroon color. It contained some boys that looked to be either our age or a bit older. They appeared to be singing something viciously, bouncing their heads to the beat in a swift motion. They didn’t take notice of me blatantly staring and I continued to watch them. I tried to figure out what they were listening to, I couldn’t hear any music (our windows were closed and so were theirs) but I tried imagining them head banging to A Thousand Miles by Vanessa Carlton. You know, that song from White Chicks?

Making my way downtown, walking fast, faces pass and I’m homebound.

Staring blankly ahead (head bang) Just making my way (head bang) making my way (head bang) through the cro-ow-owd

I giggled at my imagination, earning a perplexed look from Dylan.

“What?” I asked innocently.

“You’re giggling like an evil child, that’s what,” he stated.

“Oh, sorry,” I apologized. I didn’t know I sounded like an evil child when I giggled. Aren’t girls supposed to sound fluffy and cute when they giggle? Maybe I’m secretly a man-

“So what were you laughing at?” Dylan asked, breaking me out of my identity crisis.

“Look,” I nodded my head toward the car that was still next to us in this horrid traffic. “I was wondering what they were listening to and imagined that they were listening to ‘A Thousand Miles’ by Vanessa Carlton.”

Dylan nodded slowly before he burst into laughter himself. “That would be funny if that’s what they were listening to,” he agreed. I laughed as well before turning on the radio of our car. And guess what was playing?

A familiar piano melody filled the car and I grinned deviously at Dylan. He rolled his eyes and attempted to reach for the button to change the station. Nope, not today, I mentally stated as I held his hand in its place, away from the button.