VIII: Stupid Anthony

~Dylan~

 “Abby, do you seriously not remember me?” I asked. No way. No freaking way. This cannot be happening.  

“No… did we meet somewhere before?” she asked confusion in her voice. “I mean, I just met you on the beach and you said I bumped my head and you saved me so… If that’s what you mean?”

I sighed and dragged her out of the store. “Let’s go somewhere,” I announced. She nodded softly and I continued dragging her down the boardwalk and eventually into the car. I started driving and stopped frequently to ask for directions to the nearest hospital.

“It seems she has short term memory loss. The hit may have been more damaging than he thought,” the doctor explained, referring to the nurse at the infirmary. “We’ll have to do some CT scans to see if there’s anything more serious like hemorrhages and then we’ll put her through some questioning to analyze how much of her memory she lost. Are you her guardian?” The doctor turned to me and looked me over.

“No, I’m a friend,” I answered.

“Okay, sign her in and fill out the forms at the desk. Contact whoever you need to and we’ll do our thing,” he announced before turning back to assist Abby to a different room. She smiled at him and turned to smile at me. I returned it but couldn’t help but feel bitter. This was all my fault, I thought. If we hadn’t gone into the water she would be fine. It was all my fault.

“Abigail Ryan?”

“Here.” I stood up and walked over to the nurse.

“Doctor’s ready to speak to the guardian. First door on the right,” she said as she directed me to a hallway. She winked as she walked away but I ignored it. I don’t have time for things like that.

I knocked twice and a voice on the other side of the door said, “Come in.” I went inside and took a seat on the other side of the desk. The doctor sat there looking at something on his computer screen.

“Is she okay?” I asked.

“She’s fine. No hemorrhaging. Just some short term memory loss. She seems to have forgotten about you and bits and pieces of what happened in the last couple of months. No worries though, it will come back eventually. The memory loss wasn’t permanent and she even remembered a couple things while we were questioning her.” I heaved a heavy sigh that I didn’t know I was holding in. The doctor chuckled at my relief, “You worried a lot about her, son. Just take her home for now and the memories will start to slowly come back to her. She’s in the waiting room,” he said. I stood up and shook hands with the doctor before stepping out of his office. “You two are a cute couple!” he shouted after me. I felt my cheeks heating up and I quickened my pace.

“Abby?” The familiar brunette turned around and smiled.

“Hey Dylan,” she said. My eyes widened and I was about to ask but she stopped me. “No, I don’t remember anything yet. I just know your name from the necklace.” I nodded slowly and gestured for her to follow me. To my surprise, she took my hand in hers and started swinging our arms back and forth to the rhythm of our footsteps. We stayed like that – hands swinging and intertwined – and walked to the car in the parking lot.

“Do you have food?” she asked as I unlocked the door to her aunt’s beach house. “Whoa. You live here?”