VII: Are you a fish?

“So is – When will – up? – you mean – thanks.”

I squeezed my eyes shut even more than they already were. I heard a masculine voice half screaming, half yelling at someone else. It hurt to think about either one of the voices. I tried to move my body and it felt unfamiliar. How long had I been asleep? I tried wiggling out of the tight bed sheets but failed. Slowly, I opened my eyes.

I took in the appearance of the room I was in. White. Not my familiar pink bedroom or my chestnut colored bedroom. Where am I? I half squinted as the light of room irritated my sensitive eyes. I was laying in a white bed with white bed sheets tightly wrapped over me. I tried to sit up to get a better view of the room but couldn’t due to how tightly the sheets were wrapped over me.

“Abby!” a masculine voice shouted. I tried to sit up again and failed. “No no no. Stay down. You have to rest,” the voice explained. I managed to nod and look around the room some more. A white clock had its hands pointed on a 3 and a 5. It’s 3:25, I thought. Directing my attention back to the voice, I tuned in to what he was saying.

“ – walk down the boardwalk and – are you even listening to me?” he asked and sighed. “I’ll repeat it. You hit your head when you fell. You didn’t get hurt that much, thank god. The doctor said you have to rest but we can’t stay here forever,” he explained and paused to watch my expression. I nodded softly. “So what I thought was that we could walk down the boardwalk and look at stuff. You know, take our time and sightsee and stuff. What do you think?”

“Sounds great,” I croaked. I didn’t realize before, but my throat was really dry. My eyes widened in surprise at the sound of my rather masculine voice and the boy scrambled to pour me a glass of water. I smiled at him before he placed the cup of water to my lips. I swallowed the water gratefully. I thanked him once I was finished.

“So, let’s go?” he asked, eyebrows raised.

“I’m stuck,” I admitted. He looked at me funny before realizing that I was tucked in too tight.

“Sorry! I didn’t know I tucked you in that tight.” He chuckled as he ripped the sheets off of my torso.

“Thanks,” I said as I started to stand up. I wobbled from the lightheadedness and tipped over.

“Whoa! Here, hold my hand,” he said while extending his arm. I took it gratefully and walked with him out of the infirmary.

“Can we go in this one?” I asked pointing to a cute store on the boardwalk. It hasn’t been that long since we’ve been walking on the boardwalk, but I didn’t like any of the shops I saw before. This one, however, was painted pink and had some banners hung over the store. The sign about it read, Cheap Gifts & More!. I would’ve picked a different name for a store this cute but it wasn’t my decision to make.

“Sure,” he said. “Do you want to buy anything?”

“Not anything in particular. Just looking, I guess.”

“Sure, I’ll go look over there, okay?” I nodded and he walked off.

Inside the store, there were numerous sea shells displayed in racks. Big shells, small shells, even shells that looked like those little shell macaronis you get at the store. There was also a case at the side of the store that had a sign hung over it, Please do not tap on the glass! I walked over to it curiously and gasped at what I found inside.

Inside was a small habitat for hermit crabs. Some waddled in the miniature pool and some lay underneath the sandy floors. There was one crab in particular that – I swear – was staring me straight in the eye. I took on the challenge and stared right back.

“Do you want one?” he asked from behind me, breaking my attention away from the crab. I silently cursed myself for losing the staring contest but I shook my head no.

“Just looking. It’s cool.”

He nodded and shifted uncomfortably. “So uh…,” he started. “I got this … for you.” He turned a beet red color and I giggled. He looked cute when he was blushing. His arm was extended and inside it, there was a small sea shell attached to a string. I took it out of his hands and examined it. Inside the shell, the word ‘Abby’ was etched alongside a heart. I gasped and tapped him on the shoulder. Still blushing, he turned to look at me.

“Can you put it on for me? Please?” I asked.

“Sure,” he said as he took the necklace out of my hand and draped it over my collarbone. I shivered at his touch and he chuckled from behind me. “Looks great on you.”

“Thanks,” I said slightly blushing.

“I have one too,” he muttered while pulling out something from underneath his shirt. He had a necklace that was similar to mines. I smiled at him and took his hand in mines. He seemed surprised for a second before repositioning his hand and weaving his fingers in between mines.

With my other hand, I reached up and examined his necklace. Inside the shell, the word ‘Dylan’ was etched in the same way mines was.

“Dylan,” I read softly to myself. “Is that your name?” I asked. He stared at me with wide eyes, opening and closing his mouth like a fish. “Are you a fish?” I giggled and he continued to stare at me with the same expression, perplexity and confusion in his eyes. Why was he looking at me like that? Do I have a sweat moustache or something?

--------------------------------------

CLIFFHANGER AGAIN! Dun dun dunn! Please vote and comment what you think! Follow for updates! More to come :)