I'm Okay

I sigh and walk back to Jackie's room, looking out her window. I think to myself, not sure how to feel about the situation. "I mean. I kind of figured this would happen...but why was mom so quick to say that? Was she ready for me to be gone?" I sigh and sit on the window sill, which is wide enough for me to sit on.
I lay my head against the cold glass, looking outside. "This isn't fair. I can't help that I like her."
Tears begin to prick my eyes again as I think. "I guess this is how it's going to be from now on."
My eyes travel down to the bottom of the window. I sigh, making the glass fog up.
Sitting up, I walk over to the bed, laying down.
"I guess mom just wants to be by herself...with no me in her life." I squeak out quietly.
I huff out a small pitch of air, laying back on the bed, hugging a pillow close to me. A few tears slide down my cheeks without me realizing.
I sniffle quietly, and shut my eyes. I just wish this was a bad dream, so I could wake up and everything be normal again.
As I start to slowly drift to sleep I hear the door open then shut, guessing Jackie is back home. I sit up slowly, rubbing my eyes.
Jackie walks in with a couple of bags, full of my clothes, and some other important things. "My mom says you can stay in the guest room if you like."
I smile lightly and get up, walking over to her, "You didn't have to go get my things for me."
Jackie sighs, and looks down. "When we got there your mom was drunk out of her mind, she swung at my mom with a beer bottle, missing thankfully. I couldn't imagine if it was you."
Small tears begin to prick the corners of her eyes, "Jackie, it'll be okay. I'm living here now. We're safe, all of us." I smile warmly, holding back some of my own tears.
Jackie nods and huffs out slightly, "Alright. You're right." She smiles, and walks me to the guest bedroom.
"So this is your room, if you want I can help you set up?"
I nod and take my bags, setting them on the bare mattress. I open one of them to see some of my little trinkets from home. A glass unicorn, a small dog, a horse, and some other ones.
I pull them out and set them on the dresser, then going back into the bag. I pull out a few more things while Jackie starts with a different bag, one that has my sheets and comforter in it. She sets them to the side for now, grabbing a few articles of clothing from the bottom of the bag. She lays them down inside the dresser drawers, looking at me.
"Are you okay with all of this?" She asks, closing the drawer quietly.
I nod, and take a quiet, sharp breath. "Yeah, I'm okay."
She smiles, and hugs me. "Good." Then we go back to unpacking my things.
Once we were done unpacking my things, we threw the bags to the ground and started putting my blood red sheets on the bed, then covering them with my black comforter.
Jackie smiles, and picks the bags up, setting them all in a pile as I set my pillows and a few of my stuffed animals on the bed. I sit down and look around the room.
"We can get you some posters here soon if you want." Jackie says as she sits by me, wrapping an arm around my waist.
I lay my head on her shoulder, smiling. "You don't have to do that, you're already letting me live here.
I hear Jackie chuckle quietly, as I get up, going over to one of my little things. It's a small music box I have had since I was young. My father gave it to me before he left. I sigh and pick it up.
"What's that?"
"It's a music box my dad gave to me before he...left." I smile lightly and rub my thumbs over the top of it. It was a calming object for me. It made me think that my dad was still out there somewhere, looking for a way back to his daughter.
Small tears begin to prick the corners of my eyes as Jackie gets up and hugs me gently from behind. "Do you know where he is?"
I shake my head, and turn the small box over in my hands, rubbing my fingers across the small cracks in the wood.
I look at Jackie and she is frowning ever so slightly. "You don't really have a family then, huh?"
I purse my lips together tightly, shaking my head 'no'. Jackie hugs me tighter to her.
"Well now you have me, and someday. We will find your dad, and he will be able to take care of you."
I frown, and look at her. "Jackie. My dad has been missing since I was 4. I barely remember him. My mom and I gave up hope when he didn't come back in a few weeks. That's why my mom is the way she is."
Jackie looks at me with worry riden eyes. "We'll find him. I promise you this."
I shake my head lightly and smile.
"Okay."