Chapter Six

Eko had never experienced such severe weather before

Eko had never experienced such severe weather before. Through his jacket and his pants, he could feel the harsh stings of the rain coupled with the relentless blowing of the wind that chilled him to the bone. The moment Nira was exposed to the outside she felt her blood freeze, her body reacting to her first night at Emerald Island. She grabbed the doorframe for support as she nearly fell back down the stairs. Her heart throbbed against her rib cage, but she could hardly breathe. She forced herself to try, but it was increasingly difficult as she unwillingly kneeled on the stairs, shielding herself from the rain falling in the doorway.

Eko could hear Nira, despite the deafening whistles of the weather. He turned back and saw her kneeled on the steps.

Nira felt his hand on hers, encouraging it to come off the doorframe. He reached forwards and grabbed her other hand, despite how drenched he became from the ocean weather, his hands were warm against hers.

Eko got her to her feet and lead her out onto the deck into the heart of the ship's chaos.

Nira hadn't calmed down, the rain and cold affected her on a mental level she wasn't expecting, and she couldn't stop her trembles.

Eko thought she was shivering and rubbed her hands between his as he looked around the ship. Crew members were sprinting from one side of the ship to the other, some frantically throwing buckets of water over the edge while others were concerned about the sails. Within moments of the two walking around the deck, two crew members tied a thick rope around their waists, yelling that it could prevent them from disappearing into the sea.

"How comforting," Nira said.

"Seems exciting," Eko countered.

'More like frightening, Eko. What if these ropes break?" Nira yelled over the storm.

Eko shrugged. "Just don't fall off and you'll be fine," his words were followed with a smile.

Nira wanted to object, but couldn't find anything to counter with. It was then she noticed she had calmed down enough to stand her ground on the deck.

They went to work the moment they found some, Eko throwing water over the edge with his bare hands until someone handed him a bucket. It seemed like such a pointless task, but several of the crew members seemed to find some benefit in continuing. Nira dodged other people's ropes, trying not to cause a tangle, as she was sent to complete several tasks across the deck.

"Kid hold this!" The man had been holding the steering wheel of the whole ship and left it unattended for her to take over.

Nira panicked as she grabbed the wooden wheel, the polished surface coated in water making it slippery. The ship wanted to go one way, to make the wheel spin completely out of control, but Nira practically broke her arm trying to keep the wheel from spinning boundlessly. Her muscles strained from the weight, and very quickly began to burn.