Chapter Eleven

Eko wasn't expecting to walk all the way to wherever the Pink Empire was, but he wasn't expecting to get a lift in a large cart drawn by Francesco

Eko wasn't expecting to walk all the way to wherever the Pink Empire was, but he wasn't expecting to get a lift in a large cart drawn by Francesco. He said they would arrive in the morning. Eko leaned out the window waving to Yolanda, Amia and Amada, who all waved back.

Zakora suppressed a smile as Eko continued waving to them longer than he believed he could've been able to see. "You have so much energy," Waldo said as Eko plonked on the seat across from him, "Don't you ever get tired?"

Eko shrugged, "I do. But I want to be awake when I see Nira again and when we get to the Pink Empire," he explained.

Zakora smirked, "Sure you're not tired?"

Eko shook his head as he rested his chin on his hand, staring out the window, "Nope."

"We're gonna be in here for a while, Eko. We can wake you when we get there," Waldo suggested.

Eko yawned softly and shook his head, "No. I'll be fine."

Minutes later, Waldo saw Eko's eyes flutter closed and heard him yawn a few more times before confessing he was tired. "But I'm just resting my eyes, I swear," Eko said closing his eyes. With that, he fell asleep leaning against the window.

Waldo nudged him so Eko fell against the seat, eventually sliding down the seat to lie down next to Zakora, curled up in a ball. Waldo took off the jacket of his suit and rested it under Eko's head. "Are you some sort of doctor, Lane?" Zakora asked, "You always seem to jump into gear when someone's hurt."

Waldo shrugged, "At one point I was a doctor," he confessed, "Old habit now."

"Useful habit," Zakora said.

Waldo smirked as he sat back in his seat and looked out the window. The sound of the rolling wheels on the cart and the occasional whip of Francesco, Zakora filled the silence after studying Waldo, "What was your reasoning again?" he asked, "For doing the Champion's Exam? The title allows for cheaper things, but if you're not interested in medicine anymore, than are you seriously that power-hungry?"

Waldo smirked, "I have my reasons."

"It's a long cart ride, Waldo. I can bug you about it until then," Zakora said, "Save me the effort."

Waldo continued grinning but breathed loudly. "When you have power you can help people, oddly enough," he said, "When you have no power, there's absolutely nothing you can do."

Zakora felt the tension rise, "What couldn't you do?"

Waldo seemed to find it funny, but Zakora saw it was a strain. Waldo dismissed him, "I'd rather not talk about it with you, Zakora," he said looking out the window to avoid eye contact.

Zakora sighed as he looked out his own window, "Fine then."

*

Everyone was jerked awake at the same time, the bump in the road causing Eko to roll off the seat and shoulder barge the ground. He went wide eyed as he sat up, his arms stretching around him in a blind drowsy frenzy. "I'm up!" he exclaimed.