Chapter Twenty-Seven

The sway of the Babbos was almost hypnotic

The sway of the Babbos was almost hypnotic. Nira was rocked gently back and forth, back and forth, back and forth with the large steps of the Babbos continued to walk them away from Zakora and Waldo. 

Nira still needed to find Gems, but she didn't know how to get them without cutting open a Figlias.

While lost in her thoughts, Nira noticed the scenery of the forest seemed to change. The tone of the area seemed less hostile, more comfortable and calm. Blue fireflies littered the air, buzzing around contently while giving off a soft glow, tainting everything in blue. The relentless call of birds was overpowered by the soothing playing of crickets. But what she noticed immediately were the Figlias' that stumbled around the greenery below them, dodging the feet of the Babbos as it walked by.

There were five Babbos up a head, four which had dull-glowing helmets, their lights so dim it almost appeared to be dark. The fifth one was still alert, but all were just sitting, still as statues. The Babbos approached the five and sat down next to the one which appeared awake. Nira remained on its back, unsure of whether it was safe to move or not.

She didn't know where to go from here, the Babbos had just picked her up, she was only trying to keep it from hurting her allies. Cautiously, Nira climbed off the Babbos' back and walked around to its front. She noticed that it's cracked helmet light was slowly dimming also. Nira gulped as she watched it become gradually darker and darker, until it sat like the others.

Nira felt something hit her in the back, forcing her to fall. Whatever ran into her stayed on her back. She was growing annoyed with how often she was thrown to the ground. The Figlias rolled off her and scrambled away from the others that pursued her, multiple hollow sounds erupted from the four, giving Nira a dizzying headache as she stood up again.

The Figlias closest to her grabbed her hand in her daze and pulled her forwards.

The girls were climbing the unconscious Babbos' like play equipment. All except for the Babbos that had a lit helmet. Nira followed along with the Figlias' to avoid looking too out of place, but she felt so awkward climbing around these creatures. The Figlias' used them as something to jump off of and land in the shrubs, or reach a low hanging branch.

After only a few minutes of this, more Babbos' and Figlias came over, but this time the Figlias' seemed to go to sleep. As they arrived the Babbos' placed them on leaf beds made from the shrubs and sat behind them, resuming a similar mode of sleep.

The five original Babbos' seemed to awake and instruct their Figlias to do the same. Nira could scarcely understand what was said, but she followed along with the other Figlias' whom laid before their Babbos' and seemed to sleep.

She stood before the one that had brought her there, but quickly noticed some Figlias doing something different. They climbed up the Babbos' front and unscrewed the helmet obscuring their faces, opening it and peering inside. Nira watched as some seemed to spit up Emotive Gems or revealed them from under their clothes as they reached inside the Babbos and placed the Gems before retreating, closing the helmet and sliding down to their laps or leaves to sleep.