Chapter Fifteen

The Examiner was still nowhere in sight, none of the applicants could comprehend how much further the stairs went

The Examiner was still nowhere in sight, none of the applicants could comprehend how much further the stairs went. The boys ran past several fainted and exhausted men sitting on the steps or the arm rail of the towering stairs.

Zakora's mind attempted to figure out if they were going up a tower, or perhaps if they were heading back to flat ground since they were undeniably underground. But the stairs went in a straight line, at the same angle, never strayed away, never spiralled upwards or downwards, just ongoing. This distance seemed greater than Zakora believed they had descended whilst in the elevator, adding to the headache he was gaining from trying to comprehend where they were going.

Waldo's mind continued to run slower, maintain determined focus on placing one foot in front of the other in a rhythm, refusing to stop in fear he wouldn't start up again. The stair component made him sweat profusely, made more muscles in his legs and back burn in pain, his breath laboured. "How much further could there possibly be?" he managed to wheeze.

Zakora smirked again, but didn't answer. "So I've been meaning to ask," Waldo rasped, "How did you do that air thing on the ship?"

Zakora snorted, "'That air thing on the ship...'"

"You know what I mean!" he snapped, "How'd you do that? Is that a magic thing or a you thing or what?"

Zakora got ahead of Waldo, "It's just some skill I was taught, manipulation of air, but it's weak compared to what I've seen be done before." Zakora gained a burst of speed and leaped up the stairs, Waldo gritting his teeth to catch up, Zakora silently insulting him by being just beyond reach.

Jackson noticed the pair several meters a head of them speed up. His eye brows narrowed as he grew annoyed by this, glancing at his friend who continued to run at the same pace, either not knowing or caring that Zakora and Waldo sped up.

Jackson bit his lip, supressing his irritation until it manifested into words, "I'll race ya to the top Eko." His challenge was met by a twinkle in Eko's eye as they each started sprinting, bounding over several steps at a time. They flew past Waldo and Zakora and quickly disappeared further up the tunnel.

People were few and far between then, the pair ran past someone every ten minutes of running, Jackson showing off his skill by running up the walls or hopping from ceiling to ground, light on his feet at all times. Eko watched him, amazed by his friend's athletic ability, and showed off his own. Their laughs could be heard bouncing off the walls, people jogging further up the steps could hear them. The pair were blind in their laughter and teasing of each another that Eko barely noticed he ran straight passed the golden eyed man's watchful stare. Barely.

The Examiner continued to walk carefully from one step to the next. He winced at the blinding light as he held a hand up and he blinked away the blurriness. He stood one step before the exit as he stopped to look over his shoulder, distracted by a faint ricocheting noise.