Chapter Sixteen

When Eko returned to Nira and Jackson they were sitting on the ground staring intensely at each other, unblinking, their focus extreme to the point their eyes appeared to pop out of their heads

When Eko returned to Nira and Jackson they were sitting on the ground staring intensely at each other, unblinking, their focus extreme to the point their eyes appeared to pop out of their heads. They leaned in so close to each other their foreheads almost pressed.

Eko plonked on the space between them and looked to each, "What're you doing?"

"Staring contest," Jackson said.

"Do not disturb." Nira added.

Eko watched as each pair of eyes refused the falter, Jackson's dark brown eyes verses Nira's pale blue. Eko smirked as he spoke to Jackson, "I know how you get her to blink."

Jackson looked away for half a second and smirked, "Alright, how?"

Eko leaned forwards and started whispering into his ear, Nira watched this suspiciously and became nervous as Jackson looked at Eko quizzically. "Really?"

Eko nodded, "yeah it works."

Jackson tilted his head at Nira, she prepared herself for the worst, steeling herself to keep from blinking. Jackson seemed sceptical of the information he was given, but obeyed as he blew small raspberries, making strange noises while staring at Nira.

Nira was surprised by this as she leaned back and supressed a smirk, pressing her hands against her mouth as Jackson continued pulling faces and making strange noises. As he held his stare, Nira started chuckling and was forced to blink as she started laughing. Jackson stopped as he whooped and hi fived Eko for the advice. Nira objected, "No! That's not fair!" she exclaimed.

"I still won!" Jackson exclaimed cheering his accomplishment.

Nira growled as she rubbed her hands together, the friction causing her hands to glow a slight blue, as she snapped her fingers and zapped Jackson on each thigh. The sudden colour change and slight burn he felt against his pants made him jump as he fell backwards. "What the hell? How did you do that?" He was shocked as he watched Nira attempt to zap Eko for helping him.

"Nira knows how to use magic," Eko whispered loudly as he used Jackson as a shield.

"Eko, don't fib," Nira said folding her arms.

"I wouldn't call it lying," Eko said, he lowered his voice as he told Jackson of what she could do, "She can see into objects to find things, she can tell when someone is lying and can talk to animals." Eko seemed excited to tell Jackson this, "She can also hide herself too. I'm still learning how to do that myself."

Nira shook her head at his praise as she got the tingly feeling to leave her hands. Jackson was convinced it was magic, "I've seen some magic before. If it's not magic, then what is it?" he questioned.

Nira shrugged, "I don't really know how to explain it. I've never seen it as magic... it's kinda like an extension of my mind almost," she attempted, Jackson was still confused, "I mean, when I want to do something, like talk to animals or find things or whatever I want to do, it's just what I want to do. There's nothing really magical about it."