Chapter Nineteen

Eko didn't know why he chased after Aaron Fable. 

He raced through the bushes, each clawing at him to try and slow him down, slapping at his legs, snatching his arms and scratching his face, but nothing deterred him, not even Zakora's calls.

The canopy allowed very little light, forcing Eko to rely on his hearing. He closed his eyes and charged forwards, listening for heavy footsteps squelching in the mud. The bushes continued to scratch at him, attempting to hold him back, as he pushed through them.

But soon he felt nothing, all the bushes attempts ceased as he stumbled into a clearing. His cheek was sore, his eyes screwed shut and his arms held up. He slowly opened his eyes to see he was standing at the edge of a large clearing.

His cheek still stung, but his attention was focused on being very still. In the centre of the clearing a group of men surrounded a single stranger. Eko gulped as he relaxed and stood watching. Fable seemed annoyed, pinching the bridge of his nose as he looked to the applicants. Running his hand through his reddish hair, he spoke, "Is this all necessary?"

Eko watched as all the applicants revealed their weapons; ragged swords, pointed knives, scythes that gleamed in the absence of light and odd melee weapons ranging from bats to metal poles. Yet Aaron didn't seem fazed by the threat, he appeared content. "We will kill you, fiend!" one of them spat.

Aaron pressed his hand to his chest, "Oh that name, that horrible name! You have hurt my feelings!" Fable seemed sarcastic, which angered the applicants, one charging forwards and holding his blade to his face.

"Don't be cocky with us, you monster!" Everyone roared in agreement, everyone stated how they will all murder him.

Aaron folded his arms and could barely supress a smile. "Oh, I am the monster? Perhaps you should speak to me more softly then. Monsters are dangerous after all, we are the stuff of nightmares, and are known to have short tempers." His words were unsettlingly calm, laced with dark intent. The applicant before him cringed, a moment of dread passing over him. "However," Aaron's demeanour reverted to disinterest, "I have no interest in fighting you, any of you for that matter. You are not worthy to even be considered opponents."

The man's fear evaporated, replaced by rage, as he swung his sword at Fable. Eko watched as Fable caught the blade with the tips of his fingers, the sharp edge not cutting his fingers. The man's arms twitched with effort as he tried to press down harder, to severe the man's hand. But Fable remained unphased. "You wanna know something about me?" Aaron asked. He grabbed the blade with his hand and yanked it from the man's grip with ease. "People use to yell my name, now they're scared to whisper it."

In a blur, the man grabbed the applicant and wretched his body forwards, impaling the man with his own blade. The man retched specs of blood, and stared wide eyed at the sword hand sticking out of his abdomen. But Aaron wouldn't let the man fall, he came in close, his chin resting on the bleeding man's shoulder as he barely whispered, "You were nothing but a waste of time."

Eko heard the crunch of the man's insides as Fable turned the sword in the man's body, too stunned to move, until Zakora wrapped an arm around his eyes and pulled him back. Eko struggled at first, but was calmed by Zakora's familiar voice, "It's just me." When Eko stopped struggling Zakora released him, each squatting among the bushes. The pair watched the fight unfold.

Fable allowed the man to fall, the blood-soaked blade still sticking out of his back, his fingers twitching as he laid there. The others gasped, some retreating out of fear. But one man spoke up, and delivered a small speech about how they were men, he was a monster and that he needed to be stopped. "That's why we're all here men! This is what we're paid to do! This is what we're doing this for!" He held up his dagger and yelled, "We cannot let this monster win! We will not!"