Chapter Twenty-Five

The Babbos' revealed themselves, emerging from the forest shadows and displaying their intimidating power. 

The children had never seen anything like a Babbos before in their lives.

Creatures that stood at eight feet tall, they appeared to be armoured in suits of metal, no skin revealed anywhere. Nine Babbos' revealed themselves, each armed with a different set of protection. But each had fogged glass around their heads, enabling them to see, but preventing any to look it in the eye. Its shoulders were hunched, but that added nothing to lessen its frightening stature. Attached to their arms were make shift weapons, some had blades made from black stone, others weaponizing themselves with natural objects such as logs or vine ropes.

When the Babbos' took steps they stomped, their joints creaking and clanking like robots. Wherever sound came from, they erupted their own cries. All able Figlias sprinted for a Babbos, climbing up their outstretched arms, clambering up to their shoulders, perched like baby birds they were protected from immediate threats.

All Babbos' had a Figlias, except for one. He stood alone, facing his endangered Figlias and the man whom had her trapped. The Figlias whimpered, sobbing as she called for her Babbos to help her. Aaron's charming smile twisted into a dark smirk as he pressed the girl's arm harder against her back, prompting a yell of pain.

Zakora was reminded of his comrades in the forest when faced with a clan of Babbos'. The wails of a Babbos was something almost mechanical, a hollow echo of a real battle cry, but could make your blood tremble. Zakora watched Nira fall under the effects of the wails, her face going pale, her arms trembling to hold her in the tree. Her eyes faded in and out of awareness, her complexion continuing to whiten until her fingers slipped off the branch. Zakora zipped along and threw them both to the ground, protected by bushes.

Nira felt dizzy, her hands holding bunches of Zakora's chest to make sure he stayed there. Zakora held her close, unable to rip his eyes from the howling Babbos.

It reared its head up, showing off its thick arms as it prepared itself to charge.

Aaron released the girl, allowing her sprint forwards before the Babbos could charge. She whimpered, running up to him and climbing up his leg, hugging him tightly. The Babbos stopped his charge up, patting the Figlias gently with his big hand. Having no facial features, Eko only assumed the creature looked at Aaron with confusion, like all other applicants who watched the exchange.

The confusion stalled all other Babbos', the only noise were the startled whimpers of the Figlias'.

The girl started climbing up the Babbos, climbing up the front of his shoulder, attempting to sit in a notch behind the Babbos' head.

A frightening thought came to Jackson in that moment. He kicked Eko in the side, "Hey Eko, where did our Examiner say the Emotive Gems were on a Figlias?"

Eko never asked. He saw something flash, a momentary line crossed his vision between Aaron and the Babbos.

The Figlias was thrown back, too quick for the Babbos to grab her, returning to Aaron's outstretched hand.

The outstretched hand was degloved, showing his bare, pale fingers as he reached forwards. In a split second, his nails grew to a point, forming talons on the edge of his fingers, which impaled the back of the little girl's back. His hands and wrist disappeared into her back, the tips of his claws poking out of her front and dripping golden yellow blood.

The Figlias' screech was cut short, replaced by frail gasps as she looked at the end of the man's fingers. She clutched at his fingers, holding the hole in her gut. Her released squeaks of pain as Aaron retracted his hand, placing her on the ground delicately as he re-stabbed her.