Chapter Twenty-Eight

When Eko emerged from the bushes, he stretched his arms and took in the cool breeze of the open field

When Eko emerged from the bushes, he stretched his arms and took in the cool breeze of the open field. "Ahh, that feels better," he stated continuing to stretch as he felt the late afternoon wind. Jackson appeared soon after, stretching, but not as refreshed as Eko.

"It's too bright," he complained shading his eyes.

Eko chuckled, glancing at the setting sun disappearing over the forest they had just navigated. The grass was littered with other applicants that had beaten them to the finish line. But neither of the Examiners were here. Jackson scanned the area for them and shrugged, "Maybe there's still some time to collect the Gems," he suggested.

"Surely there isn't that much longer..." Eko complained. He could feel himself getting worked up, he wanted to keep going, he was pumped.

"Calm down, dude. This is just day one," Jackson said.

Eko looked at the different people who had made it, noticing constantly the same few people; a person in a white hood, a strange man in a mask, an older man and an assumed apprentice, the woman in purple with other applicants around her, and of course, Aaron Fable. He leaned against a tree, showing off his Emotive Gems by absently making them disappear and reappear between his fingers.

Eko stared at him, watching the man show off his jewels, feeling himself become hypnotised by them. Jackson followed the gaze and nudged Eko when he noticed who it was focused on, "Eko, focus."

Eko shook his head, dismissing his daze as he looked for Nira. Had she made it yet? Was she with Zakora and Waldo?

Jackson nudged him again, noticing Nira before Eko did. She was lying down in a taller patch of grass, staring at the changing colours sky as the sun continued to set. She could feel small bugs climbing on her palm, she turned her head to stare at some large ants which crawled along her thumb. She lifted her arm to watch it continue to crawl, but quickly flicked it off before it could bite her.

Looking past her hand, she saw Eko talking at Jackson as they approached her. She watched as he made large gestures, perhaps telling a story, recalling some information, or explaining something he found phenomenal. Nira smiled as she stood up and met with the boys, embracing Eko when they met. "I was worried about you," Eko confessed tightening his hold on her, "We didn't know what happened to you guys when that Babbo-thingy separated us."

Nira pondered whether telling him about her encounter was worth mentioning, she decided to wait, as he seemed eager to tell his own adventure.

Jackson realised then that Eko's constant talking was truly part of his nature. The way he babbled on with Nira, and her lack of reaction, her nodding and smiling and constant eye contact and engagement showed someone who had tolerated countless conversations with Eko. "...And then the little girl spat in my hand," Eko explained.

Nira gagged, "Eww, gross."

"How did you get yours?" Jackson asked.

Nira took the Gems out of her pocket and frowned, "Well... after we got separated a Babbos thought I was one of those little children people and took me with it. I noticed that the girls were putting Emotive Gems in the Babbos', and I found some in the one that took me. Long story short, I think I killed it..." Nira didn't sound certain.