Chapter Seven

"Just don't fall in and you'll be fine!" Nira yelled perforating Eko when he got back on the deck, "What was the point in telling me that if you're just gonna jump off the ship!"

Eko was still dizzy and didn't find any energy to defend himself. He apologised over and over again until Nira stopped, "I couldn't just let the First Mate fall off the ship though..."

Nira shook her head, close to tears, "That's not an excuse... damn you..." She embraced Eko, hiding her face in his shoulder.

Eko patted her back and assured her the best he could. "I'm okay, it's okay Rita."

The slip of the tongue silenced both of them, Nira pulling away, stunned. She suddenly punched the ground, "Damn it!" she snapped, "I'm turning into Rita!" The way she stated this made it seem like the worst thing in the world.

*

The storm had passed, the water smoother then throughout the night. Eko, under the command of the captain, had to go to the sleeping quarters. Nira was going to stay with him, but he insisted she stay on the deck and see what ship life was like. "Experience it for me," he said, "Don't worry, I'll try and amuse myself." As he said this he was swinging back and forth on his hammock. Nira was amused by him, he didn't look like he was a nauseated kid.

Nira walked to the top deck and looked around the water, the clouds had cleared to reveal the moon hanging in the sky, decorated by twinkly little stars. Nira smiled as she ran to the edge of the ship, on Emerald Island she loved to look at the night, the fishermen islands were well known for the night time scenery. On the water however was enchanting.

They reflected each other, moonlight and starlight on the ground and in the sky. It was the endless stretch of stars that went on forever. Nira was amazed, and truly wanted to get Eko to see this.

The captain stood next to her, "How's he doing?" he asked looking out to the water.

Nira shrugged. "He's a little ditsy, but he's fine," Nira said.

"I don't want him to overexert himself," the captain explained. "When we get to the mainland I'll give you two your Champ Bags." Nira nodded and absently thanked him, her eyes locked on the canvas of stars. "Best office in the world, aye?"

Nira nodded, "I'll say. I've seen these stars before but never like this," Nira said.

The captain smiled as he looked to the glassy eyes of Nira, a warm feeling in his chest to see her fascination and wonder: a true sight of a champion. The captain pressed his lips together as he looked down to the water, "Umm... kid," he said getting her attention, "You and your friend saved my ship, and your friend saved my First Mate." He took off his retired Champion necklace and held it out to her, "For your bravery, Nira," he said.

Nira were wide eyed, unable to decline his gift, as she slowly took the necklace in her hand. She didn't know what to say, "Thank you..."

The captain declined her thanks, saying that it was her he was thankful for. He seemed ready to say more, but he kept biting the inside of his cheek as he spat whatever tobacco he was chewing. Nira placed the necklace over her head as she waited for the man's mental debate to end.