Chapter 10

The link above is to a song from the film 'Jackie,' a biopic about Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Jackie's namesake. The score to this film is hauntingly beautiful, and really inspired me for this chapter. I thought some of you may like to listen while you read :)

---

'The Duke and Duchess of Windsor Lose Their Baby in Tragic Miscarriage'

'Jackie Baker and Prince Harry have lost their baby just weeks after announcing the pregnancy.'

'Kensington Palace confirmed the tragic news on their twitter account this evening:'

'"Sadly, The Duke and Duchess of Windsor have lost their baby. The Duchess, who was in the early weeks of her second trimester, is recovering at Kensington Palace. During this difficult time, they ask that everyone respects their privacy."'

'The pair were expecting their fourth child -- a younger sibling for Mary Kate, 2, and twins Caroline and Cece, 5 months -- in the early spring. The baby would have been Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip's 9th great grandchild, and would have been 9th in line to the throne.'

'Jackie, 32 next week, and Harry, 31, have been married since 2012. They announced their happy news just 2 weeks ago, stating they were 'thrilled' to be expecting baby number four.'

'Sources close to the couple say they were delighted to be expanding their brood and were looking forward to 2016.'

'The Duchess of Windsor was thought to be in her 14th week of pregnancy, making the miscarriage even more shocking. When asked for more details about the tragedy, Kensington Palace only disclosed that the Duchess was admitted to St. Mary's Hospital late last night and was released early this morning, the Duke at her side. The Duke and Duchess were not seen during their late-night trip, the press finding out about the heart-breaking event with the rest of the world following KP's announcement.'

'An outpouring of support has been directed at the couple. Prime Minister David Cameron tweeted a message of condolence to the Windsors, and a sizable shrine of flowers have been laid against the fence of Kensington Palace, reminiscent of the sea of flowers left in memory of Princess Diana following her untimely death in 1997.' 

'Our thoughts are certainly with the Windsor family during this difficult time.' 

---

Jackie sat straight up, clutching her stomach. There was a terrible, unbearable pain causing her to cry out.

Harry, who was sleeping next to Jackie on the couch, jumped awake, looking panicked. "What? What happened?" 

After a moment, the pain subsided, leaving Jackie breathless. She wiped at her forehead, resting her head in her hands. 

Harry sat on the edge of the couch next to her, looking concerned. "Tell me what's going on." 

A clock on the mantle told Jackie it was 7:30 am on October 15th. She'd lost Patrick just over 24 hours ago. He was gone, but the emotional wounds certainly weren't. Jackie's heart fluttered in her chest, causing her to become light-headed. 

"I-" Jackie paused to take a deep breath. "I think I was just dreaming." 

Harry didn't take his eyes off of her face, studying her expression. "Are you sure?" 

Jackie nodded, trying to convince herself. "Yeah, I'm sure." 

The sun was rising over the foggy grounds of Kensington Palace. Jackie stood from the couch where she and Harry had slept, walking towards the door that led out into the private gardens. She couldn't shake the heavy sensation of numbness that lingered in every inch of her body.