Chapter 12

'Breaking News: Jackie Baker Diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer'

'In a jaw-dropping and unprecedented announcement, Kensington Palace confirmed that Jacqueline, Duchess of Windsor, has been diagnosed with Stage I ovarian cancer.'

'A statement released by a representative of the Windsors read:'

'HRH The Duchess of Windsor has been diagnosed with Stage I ovarian cancer. HRH's team of medical professionals are confident that they can treat the cancer with a combination of methods, including radiation therapy. As with all cancer patients, HRH's outpatient treatment will be closely monitored and adjusted as it progresses. The Duke and Duchess of Windsor ask that their privacy be respected during this incredibly difficult time.'

'The news comes less than a week after the Palace announced that the Duke and Duchess lost their fourth child to a miscarriage.'

'Royal experts say it is unheard of for members of the royal family to release such intimate details about their health. When asked for a comment, a Kensington Palace official said that the Duke and Duchess chose to announce the information because "The Duchess will be required to significantly cut back on her public engagements over the next few months and felt it would be best to honestly explain her absence. She hopes to spend time with her family and rest while undergoing treatment, however, she plans on keeping a few very important commitments she has made."'

'Neither the Duke or Duchess have been spotted since the terrible news of the miscarriage was announced. Kensington Palace would not specify what events the Duchess planned on attending. The Duchess has recently taken on more patronages, along with the other senior members of the Royal Family, representing a large number of organizations who rely on her for publicity and support.'

'Ovarian cancer isn't new to the Duchess -- in 2006, her mother, Mary Clinton Baker, died of the disease. The photo below, released on the occasion of the Duke and Duchess's marriage, shows Mary holding the young Duchess in 1984.'

Her father, George Baker, died of a heart attack shortly after his wife

Her father, George Baker, died of a heart attack shortly after his wife. The Duchess has rarely spoken publicly about either of her parents, stating in her engagement interview with Prince Harry back in 2012 that she was sure her parents were looking down on the couple, and that they would have loved her husband. The couple's first daughter, Mary Catherine Diana, was monikered after her late maternal grandmother, her aunt, The Duchess of Cambridge, and her late paternal grandmother, Princess Diana.'

'According to various medical organizations, ovarian cancer is the #1 cause of gynecological cancer deaths. 20-25% of women diagnosed have a hereditary link to the disease. Given the Duchess's young age (she turns 32 in just 3 days on the 23rd of October), her case is very rare. Only 4% of cases diagnosed each year are in women under 34.'