Chapter Two

I wake up to a pounding headache. So this is what a hangover feels like. I get up, but soon regret it. Each movement I make sends a shock of pain to my head. I walk slowly to the bathroom. I look at myself in the mirror and I look horrible. My eyes are bloodshot and have bags underneath them. My lip has a scab as if I cut it. But I didn't. Or did I? Most of last is a blur. All I remember is Uriah telling me to drink and seeing Caleb. He looked different. His hair is longer and he still has those glasses. He looked...handsome. I walk out to the dining hall, with the same clothes I had on yesterday and no shoes-just socks. The loud noise makes my headache grow larger. I slide into my usual seat by Christina and massage my temples.

  "What happened to you?" she says.

  "What does it look like," I snap. She holds up her hands to surrender. I grab a piece of toast and start to butter it. Uriah comes in really loud and annoying.

  "Last night was fun," he comments.

  "Yeah. Sure was." I roll my eyes and try my best to be sarcastic.

  "What's wrong with Tris?"

  "Hangover" says Will. Uriah nods his head in reassurance. Zeke comes in as loud as a train.

  "Zeke shut up! God, why are you so freaking annoying!" I shout.

  "Sorry Tris, but you need to calm down," he protests. I slam my butter knife on the table, missing a centimeter from Zeke's hand. He looks at me in terror.

  "Don't tell me to calm down," I spit in a cold, sharp tone Tobias once used. I get up, leaving the knife in the table. I walk out passing Tobias on the way. I glare at him and he looks away. I go back to the dorm and sleep for a long time

                                                                                     +++

  I wake up just in time before we choose our jobs and living places. I run to the dining hall and realize my headache is gone. Finally! I sit next Christina and Tobias, Will sits across from her. I don't see Uriah or Zeke.

  "Where's Zeke and Uriah?" I ask Tobias.

  "You kinda scared them off," he answers. My face shows regret and he sees. Tobias wraps his arm around my shoulders. I lean into him and put my head on his chest.

  "I'm sorry. I didn't mean it. I just-" I'm interrupted by lips on mine. At first I'm surprised, but I return the gesture.

  "I know you didn't," his deep voice booms in my ear.

  "So what is going on with you two?" Christina questions. I turn to her and sigh. I knew this was coming.

  "Look, I'm sorry we didn't tell sooner but we didn't want you to think my rank was because of favoritism," I huff. Glad to have that off my chest.

  "It's okay I understand," she says. I pull into a hug. Microphone feedback screeches in my ears. I quickly place my hands over my ears. Max, Eric and another Dauntless leader stands on a collection of tables. Max hands Eric the mic and taps it twice.

  "We're gonna do this quick. New members of Dauntless, we will call you by your rank," Eric tells us, "First up, Tris."

  I weave my way through the crowd and jump on the tables. A screen displays the list of jobs and apartments. I've spent a lot of thinking which job I should pick and I think I've found them. I tap the jobs on the screen and sigh in relief.

  "Faction Ambassador and Initiate Instructor," Max says. He hands me a key to my new apartment. Even though I love Tobais, I don't think I'm ready to move in with him.

  "Congratulations Tris." I nod and step down. I walk back to my seat. A small grin lays on his lips. I find myself smiling too. Tobias embraces me in a strong hug.

  "Congratulations Dauntless member." Tobias cracks.

  "Thank you Dauntless member." Christina comes over and hugs me so tight I can barely breathe.

  "Can't breathe...need...oxygen," I play. She lets go almost immediately.

  "Oops sorry Tris. I'm just so excited!" she exclaims.

  "Uriah!" Eric says. I sit with my head on Tobias's shoulder, with his arm wrapped around mind. Our free hands are clasped together.

  "Faction Leader-in-training!" I think Uriah will be good at that.

  "Lynn!" this time Max says. Lynn, with her hair grown out a little bit, walks to the screen and picks Tattoo Artist.  After the ceremony is done, Tobias and I go back to the dormitory to get my stuff. It isn't a lot, so everything fits in a box. My apartment is a couple doors down from Tobias'. I unlock the door and breath hitches in my throat.

  My apartment had 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a living room and a full kitchen. The walls are painted purple, my favorite color. I set my box down on the counter and walk around. My bedroom has a king bed, bedside table with a lamp, a bathroom, a closet and dresser. I make my way back to the kitchen and that's when it hits me.

  "I'm officially Dauntless," I say with a chuckle.

  "Yes you are, and by the way Max came over to you that the first meeting for Faction Ambassadors is tomorrow."

  I'm now Dauntless. No longer Abnegation. I'm not a Stiff. A knock at the door gets me out of my daze.

  "Come in!" The door opens and Christina waltz in with Will.

  "Uriah is having a party in five minutes. You coming?" Will asks. I look at Tobias and smile. This is my new life and I'm glad I get to start it with him.

"Yeah."