Friends Are Family

"So, who do you think is gonna win the Slums ranked? You are not allowed to compete this time." Anton said to Malphas. They had just come back from afternoon showers and Anton had told Malphas that betting was allowed for this series. "Uhhh maybe Locke? He is pretty strong. I don't think I'm gonna do any actual betting, though. What about you?" Malphas replied "Oh for sure Kasten! Did you not hear? He broke three dummies during training this morning!" Anton replied ecstatic "Really? Three?" Malphas replied shocked "Yeah man! Three! And I heard that he was given 100 push ups as punish-" Anton was cut short as they opened the Barracks door. Princess Romedia was sitting on Malphas' bed, reading a book. "Uhhhh, Princess?" Malphas said wondering "May I ask what your doing here?" "Anton" the Princess piped up "Leave us please, also, I love what you did to your hair." She flashed a quick smile as Anton blushed and left quietly. "The training today, you did wonderful." The Princess said quickly "And, as a reward, the General has given you an extra week of leave, starting tomorrow." "Really?!" Malphas almost yelled. The Princess ran and covered his mouth "Yes, really. Now pipe down! The Guard does not know that I am here and they would flip out." Malphas stood shocked as he backed up one step "Uh sorry" Malphas said as red crawled onto his face "But was that really necessary?" He asked motioning toward The Princess's hand. "Um, no it was not, my apologies." The Princess said as she blushed lightly. "You are to be gone by 0430 hours tomorrow and we would prefer it if you didn't show back until after leave." The Princess's face became formal again. "In that time you are allowed to visit your family and other places of the Castle Town, you can leave the Town to hunt in the nearby forest, and you will no longer be shunned as a Slums boy, people will treat you with the respect equal to that of any other Cadet. Understood?" "Yes, ma'am!" Malphas said as he saluted the Princess. His hand slowly fell back down "Can I have my bed back now?" The Princess quickly shot up "Um yes, my apologies." She hid her face as she walked out. Anton burst through the door as soon as the Princess was gone. "What was that about? Is there something I should know? What happened?" Anton assaulted Malphas with questions as they sat down. "It's nothing Anton, I'm not in any trouble," Malphas laughed "I was rewarded an extra week of leave. And I'm excited to see my family!" Malphas's face darkness at the mention of his family. Malphas had been so focused on progressing that he forgot his family was suffering in the Slums. "What seems to be the bother, Malphas?" Anton said as he noticed the mood shift "Did something happen?" "It's not that Anton, it's my family. I've been living it up here in the Cadets and they have been suffering barely scraping by in the Slums, and now I'm supposed to go back to them? How can I face them like this?" Anton's face lit up "I have an idea! My father is a barber, this you know, but also my father also has a huge home, so there are plenty of empty rooms in my house!" Anton said as he clapped his hands giddily. "I cannot ask you to do that for me Anton, although I do appreciate the offer." Malphas said as he worried harder. "Oh it's not an offer, I'll send a letter to my family that explains everything and they will be more than happy to help your family!" Anton said as he picked a quill and parchment "You tell your family that you have a surprise for them!" A tear escaped Malphas's eye, he got up and hugged Anton "Thank you, Anton. You do not know how much this means to me, I promise I will make it up to you!" Anton stood shocked as he returned Malphas's hug. With this gift, Anton had cemented his friendship with Malphas, the Demon of the Slums.