Homecoming

Malphas smiled to himself as he walked to the Slums. The Rusta family was amazing! Anton had 2 siblings. The younger, a boy, was an energetic and curious little thing named Julius. Anton's older sister, Athe, was almost the same way, but was more polite with her energy. Mrs. Rusta was a beautiful woman, with a slim figure and smile lines on her eyes. She was named Demeter, after the Greek Goddess of Agriculture and Farming. They all were in good jest of Malphas's visit and told him that his family was more than welcome at the Rusta household. As Malphas entered the Slums, a cold shiver ran down his spine. The atmosphere was so different than that of the Farmer's District. And Malphas silently rejoiced that the Reaper's territory was the closest to other Districts. Malphas walked silently, remembering where his family lived, he arrived quickly. Knocking on the door, Malphas was greeted by his little sister. "Hi, Lunae!" Malphas said as a tear welled up in his eye. She had grown so much since he last saw her. "Malphas?!" Lunae responded, her voice still babyish "Big brother!!" She exclaimed as she lept into his arms. "Come inside, quick, everyone needs to see you!" Malphas couldn't help but smiling at his baby sister as she pulled him inside. "MOM, DAD, SILVA, MALPHAS IS BACK!" She yelled as they came into the room. It was almost exactly the same as how Malphas had remembered it, the small fireplace he helped his father build, the rug his mother made, and the bookshelf that Silva always napped by. The first to notice him was his mother, who looked exactly the same. Her brown hair tied in a tight bun and her brown eyes still had the glow of youth. Malphas's mother ran to him and hugged him. "Oh my baby! It's so good to see you!!!!!" Malphas could not hold back the tears as he hugged his mom. After she pulled back, Malphas felt a presence behind him. "Dad?" Said Malphas as he turned around "Is that yo-" he was stopped short as he saw the crystal green eyes. "SILVA?!" Malphas yelled as he jumped back. "WHEN DID YOU GET SO TALL?!?!" "Calm down, brother. I've grown, so have you." Silvia replied curtly "Yeah but I'm not a beanstalk." Malphas retorted throwing a small jive at his brother. "Anyway, where's Dad?" Malphas asked as he stroked his chin. "Your father left earlier to get some food, he got paid today. He should be home any minute." His mother answered. Almost as soon as she finished the door pushed open. "Honey, I'm home!" Malphas's father's voice rang out. "There was a deal on fish and I- MALPHAS?!" His father said surprised "Why are you here?" "Uh I got extended leave?" Malphas replied slightly flustered. "It's good to see you, Dad." "And you too, Son." Malphas's father replied as he hugged his son tightly. "I thought something happened, we hadn't heard anything from you so I was worried." Malphas's father whispered. "I'm fine Dad, mail is very strict. I apologize." Malphas whispered back. "Never mind that! You're a Cadet now, why did you threaten your life coming back to the Slums?" His father asked politely. "Surely you would rather spend your time in the Road or the District." "Maybe," Malphas replied "But I needed to see you guys anyway, I have a surprise for you." Malphas pulled off his pack and rummaged through. When he found what he was looking for, Malphas read the letter.

Dear family of Malphas,
  My name is Anton Rusta. I am a Cadet alongside your son. He is a mighty soldier and definitely a force to be reckoned with. He is also extremely smart and determined and has helped me with my studies on many occasions. Because I am indebted to your son, I've decided to repay him. My father has already agreed to the decision of letting you stay at my family's home in the Farmer's District. My father is a barber and my family will do their best to take care of you. Thank you.

P.S. My family won't take no for an answer.

                    With Love and Grace, Anton Rusta

While reading this, Malphas's mother began crying. It seemed that fate was in their favor today! Malphas's father pulled him aside. "How long have you know this Anton boy, Malphas?" He asked quizzically "Since the beginning of training, Dad. Him and his family are good people. I can assure you of that. The only thing they ask for in return is for us to not cause problems, and to help around their shop and home." Malphas said reassuringly. "I promise." "Alright, son." Malphas's father grinned "I believe you."