Advice and A New Life

"...and do not forget it, understand Malphas?" The Reaper said "Y-y-yes sir" Malphas stuttered as those icy blue eyes pierced Malphas's soul. "Good." The Reaper said "Now go on your way." As he disappeared into the shadows. Malphas shuddered as he shouldered his pack back on and walked down the street again, remembering The Reaper's words. When Malphas reached the platform area, the line was already marching out. Malphas ran to the line and started marching with them. While walking Malphas wondered what was in store for them in their new life of Cadetship. Malphas had part of his question answered as they arrived at the Barracks. The recruits were separated into their districts, and shuffled away. Inside The Slums district, boys slept on small cots with this cotton blankets and a straw pillow each. For Farmer's District or Merchant's Road boys, this was terrible. But for boys from The Slums, this was a lot better than what they had before, and some even cried when they saw their own beds. I'm he first day of Cadetship, Malphas, as well as every other boy, was given a white shirt and simple gray leggings, and those were their exercise and pajama clothes. For formal events, the boys were given grey dress pants, black leather shoes, and a blue cotton shirt. At the end of the day, Malphas looked down at the pile of clothes on his cot, and thought "This is where my life changes."