Chapter 3 - The Shire

Chapter 3 – The Shire

I was sitting next to Gandalf, watching him riding his horse drawn carriage, as we were passing through some places of the Shire. It was my first time there and I was excited about it. We were going slowly, to give me the chance to look carefully at every single detail that seemed to appear out of nowhere. The people who lived there seemed to be way different from the Elves. Less serious, more careless and happy. Children played outside, freely, while laughing and smiling innocently.

A boy, who was short (I must point that all hobbits are short and look like children), was running towards the carriage and stopped next to it. I didn't know him, but he seemed to know Gandalf.

"You're late!" he exclaimed in a funny voice, while crossing his arms and staring with a nice and warm smile on his face. He seemed to be nice.

Gandalf looked at him, behind his large grey hat.

"A Wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins" Gandalf said, slowly.

Frodo looked at Gandalf with a curious expression showing up on his adorable face.

"Nor is he early" Gandalf added "He arrives precisely when he means to."

Gandalf and Frodo looked seriously at each other, but they couldn't help it but start laughing. I was observing everything, and finding it extremely interesting.

"Oh, it's wonderful to see you, Gandalf!" Frodo said, while jumping to the carriage, in order to hug Gandalf. The wizard smiled happily at Frodo.

"You didn't think I'd miss your uncle Bilbo's birthday?" asked Gandalf.

Frodo sat with us and looked to me.

"Who is this person?" Frodo asked.

"Elariniel, introduce yourself" Gandalf said, in a low voice.

"I'm Elariniel, daughter of Elrond" I said, with a smile on my face "Nice to meet you"

"Nice to meet you too, ma'am" he said.

"You don't need to be so formal" I muttered "Just call me by my name."

I smiled at Frodo and he smiled back.

"I'm Frodo Baggins" he said, as I saw his eyes moving too my pointy ears.

I grinned at him.

"She likes to travel" explained Gandalf "And she has met old Bilbo's before. So I decided to take her with me"

"Yes, yes! Gandalf, thanks for inviting me to come with you" I said, happily, while I tried to see everything that was going on, for example, people's behavior and style of life.

Gandalf kept on riding his carriage, and we started to chat. Frodo asked Gandalf to tell him everything about the world outside Shire.

"Well, what can I tell you?" Gandalf started "Life in the wide world goes on as much as it has this past Age. Full of its own comings and goings. Scarcely aware of the existence of Hobbits, for which I am very thankful."

Gandalf sighted and our eyes met. He realized that I was listening every single word he told carefully.

He passed through the place where the party was going to be held. Hobbits were setting everything ready for that party that everyone was anxiously expecting.

Gandalf and Frodo looked at the same scenery I was staring at. Frodo grinned slightly.

"Oh! The long expected party!" Gandalf said.

I smiled and turned my head to Frodo and Gandalf.

"How old is the old rascal?" Gandalf asked "I heard it's going to be a party of special magnificence!"