Chapter 11 - Boat Riding

Chapter 11 – Boat Riding

The time to leave Lothlórien had come. Galadhrim had provided us three little boats (canoes), in order to sail across the river, Anduin. The lords of Lothlórien also gave us some Elvish Bread – Lembas. To me, Legolas and Aragorn, she offered plenty of new and precise arrows.

Legolas was packing everything inside the boats and picked a bag of Lembas, taking a piece from the inside. Merry and Pippin were sitting nearby and I was helping shifting the parcels. My ankle was completely alright, now.

"Lembas!" he exclaimed, with an open smile on his beautiful face "Elvish way-bread. One small bite is enough to fill the stomach of a grown man!"

I picked a bit of Lembas, as well, and took it to my mouth. It was really good.

Legolas walked upon the shore, leaving me and the Hobbits by ourselves.

Merry turned to Pippin.

"How many did you eat?" He asked.

"Four" Pippin answered, burping.

"Eww" I exclaimed, looking at them, but giggling a bit.

Everyone approached the shore. Merry and Pippin were already inside their canoe. Boromir was going to steer that one. The second canoe was for Frodo, Sam and Aragorn (he would steer). Sam was already sitting inside his canoe, ready for the big departure. The last canoe was for me, Legolas and Gimli. Legolas would be the one steering it. I jumped happily inside it. I was going to take the front place.

Legolas helped Gimli inside the boat, and Gimli took the middle place.

I looked to the middle of the trees. Aragorn was walking along with my grandfather, Celeborn, while having a conversation.

When they finished talking, Aragorn got inside his boat. We checked everything and we set off.

Everyone was reflecting at Galadriel's words.

Before we left Lothlórien, Galadriel gave us some gifts and said wise words, to each of us. To Legolas, she gave a new bow, the bow of the Galadhrim. To Merry and Pippin, she gave the daggers of the Noldorin. Sam received an elven rope, made of hithlain. To Frodo, she gave the light of Earendil. To me, she gave nothing.

"I have nothing to give you, my granddaughter" She had said "Because you have already found what you needed"

When she told me that, I merely looked at her and her beautiful face. She kissed my forehead. "Farewell, my granddaughter. Don't give up and you will not fail. Friendship and Love will help you to move on."

We passed the place where Galadriel was, standing inside her swan boat, waving at us, in an elegant way, saying goodbye.

I also saw Haldir, in the middle of the trees, looking at us as we set off. I smiled at him, knowing that I might never get to see him again.

We have been sailing for a while and we had left Lothlórien behind.

"I have taken my worst wound at this parting, having looked my last upon that which is the fairest" Gimli began, in our boat "Henceforth I will call nothing fair unless it be her gift to me"

I looked at Gimli curious.

"What was it?" Legolas asked.

"I asked one hair from her golden head" Gimli said, shocking me slightly "She gave me three"

I couldn't help it but laughing and Legolas gave Gimli a warm smile.

Galadriel had also given us some cloaks, which carried a brooch in the shape of a leaf of Lórien.