Chapter 12 - The Breaking of the Fellowship

Chapter 12 – The Breaking of the Fellowship

We had stopped a while ago. There was a waterfall nearby, so we couldn't go any further through the river.

"We cross the lake at nightfall" Aragorn announced "Hide the boats and continue on foot. We approach Mordor from the north"

"Oh, yes?" Gimli hastened to ask, ironically "It's just a simple matter of finding our way through Emyn Muil? An impossible labyrinth of razor sharp rocks! And after that, it gets even better!"

I was sitting with Pippin and looked at Gimli alarmed, and so did Pippin.

"Festering, stinking marshlands, far as the eye can see!" Gimli continued protesting.

"That is our road" Aragorn affirmed and turned his head to Gimli "I suggest you take some rest and recover your strength, Master Dwarf"

Gimli glanced at Aragorn with an angry expression on his hairy face.

"Recover my…?" He asked a bit mad, but no one paid attention to him.

Legolas approached us.

"We should leave now" He told Aragorn.

"No" Aragorn said shaking his head slightly, going against Legolas' suggestion "Orcs patrol the eastern shore. We must wait for cover of darkness"

"It's not the eastern shore that worries me" Legolas tried to explain "A shadow and a threat has been growing in my mind. Something draws near… I can feel it!"

Legolas gaze wandered the dark pine woods and I followed his eyes trying to understand what was worrying him that much. Maybe more Saruman spies. Saruman wouldn't let us pass to Mordor that easily.

"No dwarf needs to recover strength!" Gimli was still protesting, and then he turned his head to me and Pippin "Pay no heed to that, young Hobbit and master Elf" He had just called me 'Master Elf' once again. I giggled at that.

Merry approached the place where we were, carrying some wood for the campfire in his arms.

"Where is Frodo?" He asked, out of nothing.

I looked around. I couldn't see Frodo anywhere. I hastened to stand up. Sam, who was almost asleep, opened his eyes in a rush.

I inched closer to Aragorn.

"Where do you think he might be?" I asked.

"I think I have a slight idea" he said, while his eyes fell on Boromir's shield. Boromir wasn't around either.

I followed Aragorn through the woods. He rested one of his hands on my shoulder and approached my ear.

"Be careful, Elariniel" he said, in an almost inaudible whisper.

I nodded, scanning the woods carefully.

"Curse you! Curse you and all the Halflings!" we heard Boromir's voice shouting out loud.

We walked a bit more and we found Frodo, lying on the ground.

"Frodo?" Aragorn asked. I did not approach. I hid behind a building of rock, nearby. I thought it was better for Frodo to chat alone with Aragorn.

"It has taken Boromir!" Frodo exclaimed, in a worrisome voice, while getting up.

"Where is the Ring?" Aragorn asked.

Frodo started to run away from Aragorn, looking scared.

"Stay Away!" He yelled.

Aragorn followed Frodo.