Chapter 22

((Laila's POV))

I don't think I got any sleep that night. I tried and I tried and I tried, but I couldn't. My thoughts were nonstop and the feeling of intense Worry wouldn't go away. I don't think it was Worry anymore.  No, what I was 'feeling', it was something much more.  It was Fear.  I was up when the darkness of the night was replaced with the bright sunshine of the morning. I just laid there on my old, dirty bed, arms hugging myself.

And for the first time in my entire life, I didn't want to leave my room and be productive. I wanted to stay where I was and stay away from everyone outside who I could easily Anger. The Viruses and the people of the Old World were all chipless, they could get Angry, they could cause someone pain.

But so could I. And I think that was what Worried me most. That I could become Angry and I could cause someone pain. I didn't want to do that. What were things that I didn't like that could make me Angry?

-Being chipless

-This head pain that won't go away

-No more robot guard

-No sense of time

-Not being able to identify things

-Not knowing words

My list was interrupted by a knock on my door. I sat up and turned to the doorway, and there stood 381 with timberland behind him. 381 looked Annoyed and Timberland, well, he still had his smile on. Timberland didn't seem like he could ever get Angry. He didn't get Angry when 256 slapped him, and that must've been painful. And he smiled so much, meaning he must be Happy a lot. From what I could understand, Happy and Angry seemed to be opposites.  Happiness led to good things. Anger led to bad.

"Rise and shine, Your Citizenship! We got loads of Old Worldy stuff to do today and we can't do they while lying in bed like a log! Soooooo, up up up!" Timberland said, clapping his hands, and taking a step forward.

But 381 held out his hands and turned to Timberland, shaking his head. Timberland stopped in place, not entering my room. Timberland glanced from me to 381, back to me, and he took a step back, Confused. 381 turned to me and stepped in, Timberland then following him.

"Hey, um, are you okay?" 381 asked me.

I hugged my knees to my chest and rested my chin upon them. Was I Okay? I was Worried and Confused and afraid and I didn't understand any of this.

"I don't know. I don't think I'm Okay." I mumbled.

Timberland frowned and walked over to me. He sat next to me and put his arm around me in a side hug.

"Hey, what's wrong, Lails?" he asked, turning to face me.

Lails? That's not my name... I'm Laila... Did he forget already? I heard 381 sigh and saw him do the eye roll thing again as he leaned against the wall.

"Lails?" I asked softly.

"It's your nickname. Lails. It's like... a special name." Timberland explained.

I creased my eyebrows and looked down at my feet, but then back at Timberland.

"But, isn't my name special?"

The memory of me getting my name came back and I smiled softly. Laila. It was my name. My very own name. And I thought that was pretty special.

Timberland chuckled. "Yea, your name is pretty special. But Lails is a name that only I can call you. Annnnnnd maybe 381, if he stops giving me that annoyed look every time he sees me." Timberland said, looking up at 381.