Chapter 5

Kousei has gotten better since we talked and we've gotten to hang out more. Actually it's a little weird, we hang out all the time, exclusively. Watari is almost never with us. One day we were eating egg sandwiches in a park when he said this,

"I think it's time I play again." His face determined

"Wait really?! Kousei that's awesome" I say jumping up to hug him. Surprised, he slowly wraps his arms around me.

We walk back to his house and go straight to his practice room. He opens the door to the dark room slowly. Papers were scattered onto the floor, the piano caked on dust, had it really been that long? He flicked on the light, began picking up the score. It was the last piece he played, the one he played when Kaori died. That competition took away his last goodbye, but she told him to be there and to prepare for it. I instinctively want to help him, he's just kinda staring it this small pile in his arms. He soon shakes his head and puts it aside. I guess he's getting over it more and more a little at a time. I begin dusting off the piano while Kousei opens the window. The room already making progress he sits at the piano and begins to play.

Kreisler’s "Love's Sorrow" I immediately recognized it. When we were kids, sometimes I'd wake up to Kousei's mom playing it. It was one of the best pieces he'd play by memory. He played it tenderly the way she did. I could feel everything he felt. He missed his mom, he missed Kaori. But he knew he had to let them go. He's letting go of the pain, but holding onto the memory of them. The joy they once brought to his performance, he played for them.

Tears fell down his face as he reached the end of the piece. On his left note he held the pedal, it still in the air, his head lifted high.

Letting go of the pedal, loosing his form, his head tilts back down. He exhales slowly, turning to me. "I missed this"

"Me too"

"So why you crying."

"What I'm not-" I touched my cheek, streams on both sides. What the heck.

He reached up with one hand, wiping one side of my face, holding his hand there, examining my face, finding his way to my eyes. He shook his head and dropped his hand, "sorry" he said then chuckled a little, confused.

I stood dumbfounded, unable to move. Finally snapping out of it, "well uh uh I should go, bye" I stuttered, rushing out.