[01] Magic

MAGIC

"You're quite lucky missy, I just happen to know a school that accepts 'gifted ones' like you."

She stopped walking and took a few steps back to see who said that. From the dimmed portion of a deserted alley, an old man emerged. He had long and dirty-looking white hair and a fairly-wrinkled face. He wore an odd fashion sense of what looks like worn-out robes. His gray eyes bore into Aza's chocolate brown ones as he continued,

"Do you know what time of the year it is?"

Aza, having been scolded many times before by her elder sister about talking to strangers, furrowed her eyebrows. "I'm sorry?"

He retorted, "It's spring."

Okay..? That confirmed it. This old man is nuts! Well, first of all, who in their right mind would stay in a deserted alley, alone, in the dead of the night? But then again, she's even crazier for not calling the police by now!

Hesitantly, she took a few steps sidewards; creating greater distance between her and the lunatic.

"Erm, sorry but I have no idea what you're talking about, mister.. So what if it's spring? There's nothing special about it at all!"

After that, the fifteen-year-old girl, who had just come from her friend's house, ran off without sparring the old man another glance.

On the other hand, he gave a derisive laugh, shaking his head in disapproval as he stared after her. She'll find out soon enough, he thought and gazed upon starry night sky above him. He stepped further into the darkness, fetched a wand out of his pocket and with a 'pop', he vanished into thin air.

Maybe he'll have better luck next spring.

*

One Saturday morning, Aza struggled to open her eyes. She rolled to the side and felt the warmth of the comforters pull her back into slumber. The skinny girl sighed with satisfaction. What else could she ask for? Aza Sterlings has it all. She can easily snatch that "model student" award if she wanted to.

Knock! Knock! Knock!

"Are you still busy living in those unrealistic dreams of yours?" Came a loud, high-pitched voice from the other side of the door. Aza grunted with distaste and tried to drown her older sister's voice with her thoughts. She wasn't in the mood to make an argument at all.

But it was too late.

A click of a lock, a set of footsteps and a door slamming shut is what it took to make Aza sit up straight. She glared at her beaming sister who looked dazzling in her office attire.

"Running late for work again, Dina?"

Dina Sterling was a tall and beautiful young woman. She was only ahead of Aza by just five years and to say that she suited her office attire so well is an understatement.

"Nah. I just love seeing you wake up like that, Az. You really have to be a little more responsible now.. You're like, what? Fifteen?"

Aza rolled her eyes and tried to tame her messy black curls. "I'm sixteen, Dina."

"Yeah. Anyway," she sat promptly on the side of her bed and spoke in a serious tone. "You're not a kid anymore, Az. One day, you'll be facing all that crap reality just keeps giving you." If not for the general truth that her sister is a realist, Aza would be touched by her concern. She forced a smile to appear, "I'll keep that in mind, thanks."

Dina sighed, knowing her little sister all too well. Aza isn't one to stop believing in such 'unrealistic things' like fairies and Santa Claus. Nope. Aza Sterling grew up having dreams bigger than the moon itself. And her messed-up, control freak of a sister isn't going to stop her.