[18] History

HISTORY

It's not history if it's not remembered.

***

While eating lunch at the Great Hall, a dozen owls suddenly flew in and Silver landed on top of Nat's head. Natalina smiled and patted Silver's head. "Hey, Az! Your little friend is back."

Silver jumped down from her head and stretched his leg out to me. I bet it's Dina's reply! A surge of excitement took over me as I unfolded the piece of white paper.

I told you so!

---Erm, I kinda expected she'd say something like that for a starter.

But maybe auntie's right. You need to develop those weird powers you have. Your my sister, and I only want what's best for you---Even if it's having your secondary education at some magical school for witches and wizards. You'll eventually blend in there in no time, Az. Keep me updated.

-D.S.

My mouth went agape. Is this for real? Well, I'm happy that Dina's supporting me with my studies here at Liondalle, but she seems a little out of character. I smiled. Before, she'd rather keep me locked up inside my room to stay safe from all the weird stuff happening in our world than let me be a part of it.

Finally, my sister had a change of heart.

She's improving. The old Dina wouldn't dare leave me be at a place like this. She's mature and open-minded. That's what I like about my older sister. Dina knows it's against her principles, but somehow, she managed to accept the distorted reality we have. A pang of homesickness erupted within me. I wonder what she's doing now? It must be lonely.

"You okay?"

I turned to Beau and smiled sadly. "Yeah. I just miss my sister." Natalina then patted my shoulder.

"It's okay, Aza. We all miss our relatives from time to time.. Now that I think about it, I haven't visited my mother since I stepped foot here. She's in New York, you see."

I nodded, suddenly remembering something, "Nat, you told me your dad's a pureblood right? So, do you stay with him or something?" I just got curious. Natalina's still a half-blood. Her mom's a Minic so that cancels her father's magic genes or whatever. Natalina laughed hoarsely,

"Nope. I never got the chance to meet my dad. I don't even know what he looks like. The only thing I know is he's from the Coven bloodline. I stay with my cousin during holidays, though. She's a pureblood."

I turned to Beau who took a sip from his sprout wine.

"What about you, Beau? Which one of your parent's a Minic?"

He gently placed his goblet down and smiled at me kindly. Natalina snorted and answered, "He's a pureblood, Az."

I widened my eyes and stared at Beau and intently. What?! Beau laughed awkwardly and waved a hand dismissively. "Um.. Yeah."

Natalina shrugged and further explained, "The Bremingtons are the most common among the pure bloodlines. Some say that you'll have a 70% chance of running into one here in MidWorld."

My mind's still processing this information. Beau's a pureblood like Matt?! Woah. I don't know but there's something about purebloods and half-bloods that can easily pique my interest.

"Hoot, hoot.." Silver began pecking the piece of bread on my plate but I was too preoccupied to bother.

"Who else are a purebloods here? I mean, the five purebloodlines must be present in Liondalle, right?" I excitedly inquired. But to my dismay, Beau and Natalina exchanged looks and both shook their heads.

"Matt and Beau are the only ones recorded at Liondalle." Nat said.

I sighed. Well, that's depressing.

*

I'm in my room, working on my Applied Charms essay. Nat and Sasha are already asleep. I sat by the study table, a lamp over my parchment. As I put in the last details on "How to stop an inanimate object's motion" I yawned and put down my quill.. It's really troublesome to use one. Especially when I'm so used to pens and pencils.

But no matter what happens, you have to graduate, Aza. I encouraged myself even though my arms still hurt from the wand practice Matt taught me earlier. It's all about combat and stuff like deflecting special hexes. It's frustrating, really.

I was arranging my things when my eyes landed on two books carelessly scattered on my desk. I picked up the first book and recognized it by the title:

History of the MidWorld and What Lies Beyond by Fenrock Williams

You really need to read your history books.

Lincoln's words rang in my head. I immediately opened the book and scanned it's contents. I found myself browsing through a page entitled: Ruella Vines, the Prophet of the Century. I started reading it's contents. Just then, a certain paragraph caught my attention..

With the Dark Sorcery arising in the 1991, several wizard attacks and kidnappings shook the whole MidWorld. On December 21st, Sir Alexander Austrice, along with his army of dark forces from the East, attacked Liondalle's School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It was known as "The Battle of Winter" and the whole MidWorld was bewitched to be an ice land. Headmaster Trimus Liondalle III was captured and slavery began in areas. The dark sorceres took over the land until a young professor, Ruella Crisantum Vines, let an attack that mysterically ended Sir  Alexander's reign. That ended the darkest times of MidWorld, which lasted six months, and Professor Ruella Vines became a hero, later known as the MidWorld's prophet. Rumors say that she, secretly, has the ability to foresee the future and her premonitions saved the MidWorld.

My fingers kept tracing the part where auntie's name was printed. I can't believe it.. She saved the MidWorld. Without her, Liondalle wouldn't be a safe place for witches and wizards. My aunt.. Is a hero.

Besides the article, a picture of Aunt Ruella, in her younger years, was smiling at me.

I sighed and closed the book. Why haven't she told me stories about this?

I kept the book inside my bag and my eyes then landed on the other one. Wait, it's the one from the library! It's about Purebloods.. The one Lincoln reached from a high shelf. My eyes widened when I noticed it was written by the same author who wrote the history book. I made sure Nat, Sasha and Silver were fast asleep before my fingers skimmed the pages.

I started reading about the five purebloodlines and their history. It turns out, there were originally twenty wizarding families before times broke their principles apart. They discovered the land dweller's world and started making interactions with humans. Only five survived,

Austrice. The Austrice bloodline is one of the oldest there is.. But, the funny thing is, even though they're recorded, this books seems to have little information on them. Weird.

Bremingtons. Just like what Nat said, the Bremingtons bloodline has the widest scope. More than half of the remaining purebloods are from their heritage.

Clintwood. Matt's bloodline. Psh. It's actually a rare blood. They have a small family and all. But they barely interact with half-bloods.

Coven. Natalina's dad's bloodline is a risky one. The Coven blood seems prone to develop diseases, making it the most unstable bloodline. That's the reason why most Covens just mix with Minic blood in order to preserve their components. Though most are still purebloods and chose to mingle with the other purebloodlines.

And lastly,

Earlhart.... Wait..

I strained my eyes and stared at the description. Aside from it's hinted as the most powerful bloodline in the MidWorld, the words: No information available are written at the bottom.

I sighed, knowing that this book, is somehow censoring something about these purebloodlines. I don't know if I'm just being paranoid, but I think there's a greater deal with purebloods.

***