[11] Owl Post

OWL POST

Without connection, we're better off as strangers.

***
I nervously sat across of auntie. She dismissed the class early because of what happened. Aside from getting a failing grade, what else could I gain today? I avoided her eyes when she worriedly asked,

"Are you feeling well? Any side effects?"

I shook my head. She let out a sigh of relief and leaned back on her chair.

"Aza---"

"I know, I'm a mess. You don't need to point out the obvious, auntie."

Dead silence reigned after I spoke. Soon enough, Aunt Ruella retorted, "That wasn't what I was about to say. Apparently, you've only made a small mistake in your potion. Though, I never thought it would turn out that strong, I'll lend you these books so that you can review the procedures, dear. You'll just be doing a retake tomorrow." And just like that, several books floated in front of me. They landed on my lap.

Why do I feel so pathetic? After the devastation I caused earlier, no one dared look my way. Even Alie started avoiding me, and we've just met! Am I really this weak? I thought wizards and witches should be the foundation of modern MidWorld, or so I've read in a damn book!

"Aza, I know what you're thinking.. It's okay. You're just beginning to accept magic in your heart. Maybe Potions just isn't the right subject for you."

I lifted my gaze. "Yeah, and neither are Standard Charms, Applied Magic or even Herbology! Auntie, when you brought me here, did you expect this less of me?" I was about to cry, I know that. I guess the land dweller part of me is still intact. I just can't erase a part of who I am and undo all things wrong. Maybe I'm not magical. Maybe this is all just a big mistake.

Aunt Ruella stood up and reached my hand, "Child, I've never expected anything less of you. I know this is difficult, but you'll make it through, somehow. You need to learn these things step by step, and I'm pretty sure your mentor will help you with that."

And with that, I lost it.

"MENTOR?! Fuck! He's a pest, auntie! He's an expert at ruining my day, I'll give you that! Auntie, how can you expect me to get through this when everybody here sees me as nothing more than a burden?! You know what," I met her eyes and grunted the next words, "You told me before that everything will be alright. Now I regret believing you."

I grabbed my bag and stormed out of the classroom. This is what I call a bad day.

*
At lunch, I was all but aware of Natalina's questioning stares at me. Beau chose to be quiet about it and I couldn't be more grateful. Finally, the blonde sighed in defeat. "If you need company, we're here for you, Az."

I stood up, my food untouched. "I'll be going." The two exchanged worried looks, but none of them bothered to bug me about it any more. I passed by the Strayhounds and Chisslewings' tables. Some were glaring at me while others ignored my presence. I heavy weight settled on my chest. There's really nothing more painful than the feeling of being unwanted. I let mysekf drown in those thoughts until I reached Applied Magic class.

Professor Floresca Fumes eyed me with interest. She's the last person I want to deal with today.

"Miss Sterlings, the next time you'll be attending my class with that frown on your face, I will see to it that certain punishment will be given. Am I clear?"

"Y-Yes, Professor." I slightly bowed my head and sat at my favorite seat--at the back of the class. This way, they wouldn't notice me unless I commit suicide or something. I sighed. And now you're suicidal? Great job, Aza. I pushed those negative thoughts away and tried to concentrate on the lesson.

"We will be practicing the Motion Spell." Professor Fumes began and pointed her wand towards a book lying on her well-organized desk.

"Movere!"

And within seconds, the book stood up on it's side and started flapping its pages at us. It even did a cartwheel. An applause can be heard and if I wasn't so depressed at the moment, I'll be definitely amazed at what she did. Soon, it was my turn to do the charm. I took in a deep breath and swished my wand in the air.

"Movere!"

The quill on Professor Fumes' desk wobbled to life. It jumped up and down. Professor Fumes smiled, but that soon faded when the moving quill dipped itself into the bottle of ink and started scribbing nasty things on Professor Fumes tabletop.

Prof Fumes is ugly

Flat chested

B*tch

The whole class started laughing at what the quill wrote. I gulped and tried to back away when Professor Fumes yelled,

"DETENTION!"

I sighed. Do I have any other choice?

*

Great. Just great. I've got into trouble twice in a day? That must be a record-breaking event. I laid my back on my bed and forced myself not to cry. At times like these, I want to talk to Dina. I want to let all my worries out. I want my sister knocking some sense into me. But she's not here. I closed my eyes. I don't belong here.

"Hoot! Hoot!"

I fluttered my lids open when Silver suddenly appeared. He suddenly pecked my nose. I got up and glared at the gray owl. "What?!" Silver flapped his silver wings and pointed his beak at the roll of parchment I had on the study table.

He can send your letter to the land-dweller's world.

A voice seemed to whisper. I don't know where that came from or why it sounds so familiar, but I found myself writing down a letter for Dina.

I didn't restrain myself. I let the words flow freely to the piece of parchment. I told her about everything that happened. After venting my emotions out, I tied the piece of letter to Silver's leg and perched him on the window.

"Go to Dina, okay?"

The owl hooted cheerfully and set off into the night. I watched him fly away long enough to notice another owl vanishing into the night.

***