[30] Downfall

DOWNFALL

I trusted the wrong man?

My eyes narrowed down on the semi-transparent spirit in front of me. I'm pretty sure I heard him clearly, though it seems as if my mind didn't want to sync those words in.

"W-What are you talking about?"

Mace stared at me with those almost hollow eyes and before he could further elaborate things, a loud explosion erupted from somewhere inside the castle. The door behind me began shaking. Someone was trying to open it. Panic rose up in my chest again, if not already dominated by my fear.

"Evanium liquid can really do magic, don't you think? Off you go now." the ghost said just in time before the door swung wide open.

When I spun around, there stood a girl with midnight blue hair. Based from her green robes, I can tell she's a senior. Aside from that, she looked equally disheveled and lost as I am.

"What are you doing here?! You should go back to your house! It's dangerous out here!"

I met her eyes. "I know.. I-I was looking for Lincoln."

Sympathy flashed on her expression as she wipped the sweat off her forehead. I hesitantly exited the dark room and followed her quick pace. "Walter? We haven't seen him since the fire sparked the Great Hall!"

I stopped and only then had I noticed the gleaming 'Prefect' badge on her chest.

"I have to find him!"

After that, I took off to the opposite hall. I can still hear the prefect's calls for me but I don't give a damn anymore. I can't let something bad happen to Lincoln! As crazy as it sounds, I think I already love the guy.

"LINCOLN?!"

Shit! Several moments later, I came upon a fire dancer. This one was twice as big as the first one I encountered. With my wand held tight, I casted the water control spell. Element clashed with element as a fire attacked me. I gritted my teeth and forced myself to motion the stream of water towards it until it finally extinguished the flames. I huffed and ran ahead until I stumbled upon a Knight.

"Get out of my way!"

He didn't budge. Dammit! I pointed my wand at him. "Step aside or I have no choice but to blast you to bits!" I don't know where my bravery was coming from. I can't believe myself!

But instead of being intimidated, the Knight grasped my arm and started dragging me along with him. I cursed and attempted to pry his hands off me but it was no use. He's too strong.

"Hey! Where are you taking me, you bastard?! Let go! I'm going to tell the headmas----!"

A piercing scream stopped my rant. And not just any scream.. My body froze and my mind went haywire. A-Aunt Ruella?! The Knight ran faster. We passed by a long flight of stairs. Moments later, we were heading down a familiar hallway. If I'm not mistaken, this is the hallway auntie was staring at yesterday.

We ran until we reached a wooden door. Another scream came and an explosion shook the ground. The Knight cursed under his breath and used his wand to open the locked doorknob. In a split second, we entered the room. My heart pounded furiously inside my chest.

The room was a disaster.

It was as if a hurricane of thorns invaded the place. Several chairs were toppled over and the windows were broken. Paintings were torn and the floor was hardly seen under that thick vegetation. But what struck me more was the figure lying lifelessly on the ground. My heart literally stopped inside my ribcage, only to accelarated in fear and disbelief.

"A-AUNTIE?!"

Immediately, I ran towards her. My eyes widened in shock. Her skin had cuts all over and her robes were tattered. Dirt and dried blood stained Auntie Ruella's face but that peaceful smile contrasted her overall, devastating appearance. My hands shook when the situation finally sinked in.. "N-No...NO! AUNT RUELLA!!" I hugged her body and balled my eyes out. Fresh tears rolled down my cheeks and I can hardly breath.

What happened? Who did this to her?

I want to scream and released all these pent up emotions within me but I don't know who should I blame. Is this the work of those damn fire dancers?! Anger flared though I was too weak to move on my spot.

"She knew this would happen sooner or later, child."

I slowly raised my head and saw Headmaster Liondalle standing before me. He had a sad smile on his face, eyes stuck on my aunt. I harshly wipped my tears and stood up. "W-What..H-How..?" I can't even manage to vocalize the questions in my head and it frustrates me even more.

"I'll explain everything to you, Aza.. But I have to check something first." the headmaster walked closer to me and touched my forehead. He closed his eyes and sighed. "Just as I suspected."

He then turned to the Knight who was standing a few feet away from us and spoke in a stern voice, "Mattheus, kindly open Professor Vines' desk drawer. I believe she left the counter potion there specifically for this situation."

Abruptly, my head snapped to where the Knight was moving. Mattheus? He did as told and handed over the vial of pastel blue liquid. "Wait..y-you are..?" my voice broke when he took off his mask.

Shit.

Mattheus Clintwood!

He gave me an emotionless expression though his eyes told me something else. Now, I'm more confused! "Matt---"

"Drink that first, Sterlings..for precautionary measures."

I nodded my head and hurriedly gulped down the liquid inside the small bottle. I was too emotionally drained to argue, anyway. And when I did, something inside of my flickered and I felt dizzy. "The hell?" I groaned in pain, but after a few seconds, the dizziness worn off just as fast as it had surfaced.

And surprisingly, I felt lighter. I turned to Matt. "Clintwood, what was that?"

He frowned. "The counter potion your aunt left you. Not surprisingly, he easily managed to sneak the Evanium liquid in your apple juice some time ago."

That made my brows furrowed. The headmaster spoke next, now with a familiar flower in his hands. He motioned me to study the rose but I didn't need to look have a closer look to determine that it was, indeed, the same rose Lincoln gave me before. It's giant apperance made it easy to distinguish and that's when the realization caught up on me.

My whole body felt heavier and I was sure my mind was still in a state of shock. I stared down, horrified, at my aunt's dead body and murmured the only person that can do this..

"Lincoln Walter."

***